Setting up Kanban suggestions

It looks like Kanban receipts only work for BOM’s with one level, unless the child parts are set a Phantom BOMs (which basically makes it only one level anyways). Is that a correct assumption? Basically no sub-assmblies in Kanban receipt jobs.

Another question about Kanban receipts. If I start setting up some parts with Kanban bins, (part>site>warehouses>bin information>detail, replenishment type or part>site>warehouses>detail, replenishment type). Will that have any effect on other areas of the system? Or is it only going to add the lines into the Kanban Bin Monitor.

We don’t currently use any of this, but is looks like it could be a simpler way for us to put some stock parts on the shelf and handle some basic parts orders. Does anyone else have experience with the Kanban system? Good or bad?

That’s exactly what Kanban Receipts was designed for. When used as designed, it’s great!. I’ve installed the process several times, and it’s more of a “process issue” than a real Epicor problem. Here we are telling people to make sure they log every transaction and count each piece and document every single step… except for now when the system does it all for you (just make sure you do it RIGHT!)

Half the time though, people still want to print out a traveler for a Kanban Receipt. Oh well. I LOVE Kanban Receipt and wish more places would use it.

Yeah, that’s what I’m worried about. When to use this, and when to not. We aren’t good at process definition here, it’s lot of “just ask when it comes up”. Then they wonder why simple things seem to take so long.

Anyways, It looks like once the BOM starts to get very complicated it doesn’t let you use Kanban receipts, which is good. I was thinking about writing a BPM to do that anyways, but it looks like I don’t need to.

That’s one of the things I am a little worried about, which is, how does someone know what they need to do? That’s where we have to explore some things like static binders that have prints in them or something like that.

It’s designed for simple items that can be built quickly and in volume, frequently while other things are also running. It is NOT designed for complex parts that an operator would need detailed instructions about. Think about something like a bracket assembly that needs some rods, hinges, screws, and maybe a spring or two. Takes an experienced operator maybe a minute apiece, but since you go through them like water, you ALWAYS need more. Using a Kanban Receipt process for this means you can tell your operator that you need 50 by the end of the day, and when he/she gives you the box of 50 you do the Kanban Receipt and BOOM. The job is opened, completed, and closed, all the materials and labor and burden are costed.

If the part is more complicated than that, it shouldn’t be a candidate for Kanban Receipt.

1 Like

Kanban should be reserved for assemblies that have a single operation (or multiple operations that are completed all at once). Examples I have personally seen where it totally made sense:
1. Brick Manufacturer: Company made bricks… they would decide at the beginning of each day how “Long” (duration) to run the batch of bricks… they never really knew the total yield, nor did they care too much. They would run it for 6 hours, constantly reloading the cement hopper, and when done, they simply counted how many got finished. At that point, they did a Kanban Completion, and the system automatically backflushed the approximate amount of “Ingredients” according to their “Recipe” (the BOM).
2. Door manufacturer: they made doors & Door Frames… to make a door, you needed side rails, top rails, bottom rails, etc. These rails were cut from standard extrusions of multiple standard colors. The DOOR was not the kanban item… but the RAILS were… Someone would look in their mobile Kanban Bins, and see that they were running low… They would go to the uncut stock, and cut enough to fill the bins. They did this with a Kanban completion. into the bins. Then as doors were completed, they backflushed the rails.
3. Pool Pump Manufacturer: They purchased Motors, They made housings (on regular jobs), but had alot of other accessory items such as power cords. When the accessory items got low, a bin went back to the accessory assembly area… they would make enough power cords to fill the bin, and then do a KanBan Completion. The finished Pumps (with housing and powercords) were made on regular backflushed jobs.

3 Likes

Ive used this before at a previous company, but for some reason this is greyed out and i cannot add a Bin to the part to add a Move Kanban setting. i have a kanban set up to purchase at the warehouse level. What am i missing?

you can only have a Kanban warehouse or a kanban bin set up. If you have the other one set up, it will not let you create the opposite. Maybe that’s your problem?

1 Like

Thank you. That was it.

1 Like

I am trying to setup a Purchase Kanban at the bin level no PO releases are being created. I have multiple bins for the same item and I have setup each bin as follows:

Am I missing something?

if your minimum is as 0, they won’t get a purchase suggestion. It has to fall below minimum to get a suggestion.

Thanks Brandon. I think that was it.

DO you happen to know what method is being called to create the PO release?
Or how to trace it? I am trying to put blanket PO functionality on the PO.Update method where the line quantity does not change and the first release is adjusted every time a new release is added.

It works when manually entering POs, but the Kanban Bin Monitor process must be calling different methods.

I don’t know. We don’t use the Kanban stuff here, it’s too hard for us to get processes well defined enough to use, so I haven’t investigated it.

Has anyone used the Kaban Bin Monitor and can help shed some light on this?

What kind of Kanban are you setting up?

I am setting up a purchase kanban. While testing the kanban bin monitor, it is working fine, however, I have created a BPM to adjust the first PO release when additional releases are added/updated/deleted so that the line quantity stays the same.

I works great when entering manually, but now when the kanban process creates the new release, the BPM does not fire.

I am trying to find out what method is called when the kanban process creates the new releases.

Hi, how do you get the last 2 “actions” Whse/Bin Replenishment (Auto) and Whse/Bin Replenishment (Manual), I only have the first 3.

This depends on what version you are on… but the system only triggers a new release to be created on the PO when you fall BELOW the trigger qty… I cannot tell your trigger qty by the screen shot, but it looks like zero to me… try increasing the trigger point

I got it figured out. No method is called so I changed to data directives and it is working now.

Thanks everyone.

Can you share the code you have? Forgive me if I am missing something, but I assume you were able to create a new release without adjusting the line qty?

Tim,
does the PO have to be set up a particular way for epicor to generate the new release? Also is the release only generated when suggestions is ran and the on hand quantity is below the safety level on the kanban bin set up?
or do you not need to run PO suggestions.