How to reduce the operation duration?

Hi Epicor Gurus,

We are using E10 and is in the process of implementing the software. Right now, we are in the system design phase and is trying to setup the resources for the new system. Here is what we want to achieve

We use finite scheduling for assembly and uses MRP

We have an operation with standard time of 100 hrs (12.5 days @ hrs. day) but the duration of the operation could be reduced by adding more resources up to a point. For example, if we add one more employee to work on the assembly operation, the duration would be reduced to 6.25, exactly half. What are available ways in Epicor 10 to achieve this goal in the schedule.

Thanks,

Jay

I remember seeing something like this in one of the free Epicor on-demand videos at EpicWeb. I can’t remember the name but it’s definitely there.

1 Like

Jay,

The scheduling blocks on the resource group will do this.

You would want to set the number to the typical staffing in your assembly area.

You may have to add resources to accomplish this as I don’t believe the scheduling blocks can be greater than the number of resources available to the resource group.

So, let’s say you have 6 resources setup for this area and you set the scheduling blocks field to 4, the duration will be divided by 4 and if you look at the job scheduling board there will be four resources used for this operation and these are shown in the detail pane there.

Brad Boes
bradboes@boosterpconsulting.com
231-845-1090

2 Likes

Hi Brad & Chris,

Thanks for enlightening me with your wisdom. I did the test by taking the tips provided by Brad. But i wasn’t able to replicate the expected result.

resources group with 2 scheduling block with finite resources and the job is finitely scheduled.

Thanks,

For an existing job, you may have to remove it from the schedule and then reschedule it to have the new resource group settings kick in.

Also what is being called out on the job for Scheduling Resources? Are you specifying the resource group level ? Or calling out just the one resource itself? That would factor in also. If you can call out the resource group level to make any and all of the resources available as needed.

Brad Boes
231-845-1090

1 Like

Scheduling Blocks! That’s it! Thanks @BoostERP

Hi Chris,

Do you know where I find the video you are referring to?

EpicWeb > Education > Class Scehdule

Note you must have an EpicWeb account\login

Epicor Learning Center (Sch Blocks)
Epicor Learning Center (Capabilities)
Epicor Learning Center (Operations)
Epicor Learning Center (Mfg Foundations).

You can easily find them by searching in class listing for OnDemand type

Thank you Chris. You are the man! I am a new member of e10help family, and I already feel like I am getting a lot of information otherwise not available to me.

1 Like

We’re glad to help! We all started where you are. If sch blocks solves your issue then make sure you mark @BoostERP for the solution using the checkbox under his post.

I think @BoostERP deserves that solution - if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have even remember what it was called :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Brad,

Would you please take a look at this? I appreciate your help

If you are using the split operation checkbox on the resource group then the Resource level split operations checkboxes will need to be checked also.

Brad Boes
231-845-1090

its looks like scheduling block only work when you are working on quantity greater than 1.

Two resources are not working on the same assembly, but they are working concurrently on two identical assemblies cutting short the time to produce multiple (Even) quantities**. It works only when the production quantity is more than one. So It doesn’t work for our scenario of an assembly operation with two resources working to reduce the duration of operation.

Yes, that makes sense. Sorry I did not catch your quantity.

Brad Boes
231-845-1090

1 Like

Thanks! Do you know of any other option to reduce duration of an assembly operation where QUANTITY = 1 ?

I think that you could halve the required time, and increase the crew size to 2 so that the cost is the same, but the time is less, but I haven’t played with that before so I’m not sure exactly how it works.

1 Like

If you will “always” plan to have two people at a minimum doing the assembly work you could try to adjust the production rate in half and still call out 2 schedule blocks.

I can’t say that I have done this though and you may need to call out a crew size of 2 as well to get the labor costing to come out properly.

Maybe there is someone else out there in the forum that has done what you are looking to do.

Brad Boes
231-845-1090

I didn’t know I had an issue until you posted. I have a single operation quantity 1 of 50 hours winding cables that we put 4 people on using 4 schedule blocks. I had always assumed that the time was divided by 4. I set the split operation on the resource group which I had never used before and I got 4 resources on the operation and the days divided by 4 as I needed.

Thanks
Greg

Help on Split Operations.
Split Operations
Select this check box to indicate that resources in this resource group are available to share work on an operation. The number of hours that an operation requires can be divided by the number of resources that have this check box selected.

1 Like