Creating a new labor detail (the right way)

First my intention - I am adding a scrap button to my MES which will allow me to report scrap on the fly. Currently, there is only one scrap record per labor detail and you access it when you end activity on a job. I hope to create a new labor detail simply to record a scrap value.

I get my LaborHead:

tring whereSeq = string.Format("ActiveTrans = TRUE and EmployeeNum = '{0}' and COMPANY = '{1}'",((Ice.Core.Session)oTrans.Session).EmployeeID.ToString(),((Ice.Core.Session)oTrans.Session).CompanyID.ToString());
	opts.NamedSearch.WhereClauses.Add("LaborHed",whereSeq); 

Then I get a new Labor Dtl using the LaborHeadSeq:

adapterLabor.GetNewLaborDtl(Convert.ToInt32(lbr.Tables[0].Rows[0]["LaborHedSeq"].ToString()));

I change a bunch of fields (not all shown), most importantly:

adapterLabor.LaborData.LaborDtl[dtlcnt].RowMod = "A";
adapterLabor.LaborData.LaborDtl[dtlcnt].ScrapQty = qty;
adapterLabor.LaborData.LaborDtl[dtlcnt].ScrapReasonCode = "SCRAP";
adapterLabor.LaborData.LaborDtl[dtlcnt].LaborNote = scrapreason;

I Update the record, then end activity:

adapterLabor.Update();
adapterLabor.LaborData.LaborDtl[dtlcnt].RowMod = "U";
adapterLabor.EndActivity();

It seems to work. Are there any special considerations I am overlooking (and will pay for later)?

2 Likes

Have you looked at the production detail report to see if everything recorded properly? Also, I see that you Ended Activity. If this is to report scrap on the fly, is there a way to do it without having to end activity on the job for the user?

The end activity doesn’t affect the user. I created a new labor detail simply to report the scrap, that labor detail is what I am ending (closing would seem to be a more accurate description). So within MES they are still logged into whatever jobs they are in, but clicking scrap makes a record against the same labor header.

I haven’t looked at the production reports yet, I am currently trying to figure out how E10 is determining the payroll date (I assume it may be based on the job). Also, I’m going to need to get someone who knows what it’s supposed to look like - I wouldn’t know either way :blush:

Here is a T&E result from a test I just did (1/30, note the payroll date is 1/10 and makes it weird to view in T&E)

The payroll date should be based on the date of that the user clocked into the system, not the date that the user clocked into the job. So if you clocked completely out of MES, then clocked in under today’s date and entered more scrap, it would show the payroll date as today.

I do see that it seems to be capturing Labor and Burden hours. It is splitting the labor, but not the burden. Interesting. Are you clocked into more than 1 job?

I see, that could explain things - in my testing I rarely clock in/out so I wouldn’t be surprised. Is there some other way I could view the scrap on besides T&E. I am going to write a BAQ to show transactions against a job but I am wondering if there is something already in place.

On a side note, I verified my backflush is working properly off of those scrap transactions! Woohoo!

You’re getting there! Good job! I don’t think you want to split labor hours though. We’ll need to work through that.

You are correct, I logged out and back in and can see the change. I was able to also report scrap for a job I wasn’t logged in to - I could limit that but I kind of like it.

Regarding labor - we only calculate based on reported quantities so I think that doesn’t affect us in this case. Do you agree?

<clarification - on that date I was logged into 2 jobs>

I was only clocked into 1 job BUT, the process of reporting scrap logged me against the existing labor header. I am not actually STARTING ACTIVITY, like I do on my Job Queue mod so it doesn’t appear in the queue (even if it did, it immediately logs out once posted). I couldn’t log into the job twice (as in Start Activity), which makes sense - good job Epicor.

Reading back over this makes me realize I am not verbalizing this very well - feel free to ask for clarification lol

I’m just curious what this did to the labor dollars though. I’m wondering if it split the dollars behind the scene. Run a Production Detail and take a look to see if the labor dollars are 1/2 of what they should be. We will have to look at how it “costed” out the scrap.

Just saw your edit…that is why the labor is split! Did you say you ran the test again after “clocking out” and back in??

Page 1

Page 2

Latest Test (logged out, back in - then logged out of job end activity, THEN reported scrap

Interesting. It looks like there is labor cost and material cost but no burden cost. Material cost looks accurate. I’m looking at the operations and the resources. I’m not sure how it is getting .85 since you have no rates set up for either resource. I should say, no rates that I can see in the production detail report. Do you have a labor rate set up on your employee record? There has to be something driving it to get .85 worth of labor.

You would want the labor rate for parts, but you would also want the burden rate. Is there a burden rate set up for the machine that you used?

There is a labor rate against my employee ID and also one for the Resources (machine press). It’s not apparent to me yet where the value of 0.85 is coming from.

<edit>Ok looks like its using the burden rate of the machine.

I think that the MES report quantity button will allow you to report
quantity without ending activity.

Brad

It does Brad, but it doesn’t allow you to report scrap/

Hi Brad,

Chris is correct on this. It allows you to report quantity only. We need to report scrap on the fly. I also need to report different types of scrap (more than one scrap code).

1 Like

what is the burden rate set up for the machine?

I have it set to 20.28 and my costing labor to 9.25 (not sure if that’s the same as MY labor rate, which coincidentally I also have set to 9.25)

Here is a BAQ/Dashboard I made to view the labor against a specific job number:

The burden should be: 20.28 x .04 = .8112 and the labor should be 9.25 x .02 = .185
.8112 + .185 = .9962

I’m not sure why your labor is half of your burden. Do you have split burden checked on your resource group?

Yep, apparently so.

The cost of the scrap should stay in the job and not be cleared until the job is completed and closed - which it looks like this is happening on this job.

I would like to see what it does to labor and burden when more time goes by and scrap is reported. I’m thinking that it is only pulling in enough time on the scrap entry to do the transaction, not the actual/estimated amount of time it would take to complete those parts.

And that might not be a problem if you aren’t trying to analyze scrap cost from this entry. If so, you probably would want to do that cost calculation manually.

If it helps your analysis, I think the parts have a 32s cycle time.