Cost Roll Up Screw Up

Well, crazy me, when i posted the Cost Roll up, i just picked a random Reason Code. And these codes have GL attached to them. The cost roll up was for every part in our system. So one dept got all the adjustment costs on it. How can I figure out what should be in what dept?

the part trans file should have a cost adjustment transaction in it
sort select total by the part / department (and hopefully - there is a link)
then make a GJ entry to distribute the costs.

So, I used the Part Tran table and set it to pull the info for the exact data and reference. That pulled in all the costs associated. However, the sum i am getting is larger than the amount that was placed on the books (at last that is what I have been told. I am not very familiar with accounting, so I am not sure where to look to verify this.). However, since it is an adjustment, would that be the difference between what it was to what it is now? If so, wouldn’t I need to know what it was before?

when running cost roll-up and you got parts in there that are marked Non-Stock, will the hit the GL? I have been searching this out and it seems they do not. But wanted others input on this.

If there is inventory on hand, then yes it will hit the GL. The non-stock flag has nothing to do with it. Uncle Sam doesn’t care about whether you call a part stock or not. If you own it, it’s part of your inventory.

Yet, I have many parts that did NOT hit the GL per the Inventory/WIP reconciliation report.

Is someone running COS/WIP capture? that’s the process that takes the operational transactions and translates them into the GL transactions. That needs to be run periodically. The transactions that happen until that is run, will not show up in the GL.

Yes, I got an email from Epicor support, and they said something to the effect that if the running total is negative then there is no inventory to adjust. If no inventory to adjust, then nothing hits the GL. Which seems to hold up better in relation to my list of parts that did hit vs those that did not.

I was looking in the help files and didn’t see anything on this, but do you know how the running total in Part Tran history is calculated? I am thinking it is Running total minus the Act Trans Qty. Does that sound correct?

what did you try and search for? It’s all in there.

I’m not sure. I would suspect it’s using the OH balance and make a running total backwards, but I don’t know that for sure. I’ve never had a problem with it.

I was speaking of the Part Tran History running total. So I looked in the help files on the Part Trans History and it gave no info. Didn’t think it would be in this section. I will read it. Thanks.

I thought your were talking about the capture. I thought that’s what you couldn’t find.

If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend the Job Costing Technical Reference Guide.

2 Likes

No worries. And I don’t have a problem with it, I am just wanting to use that running total to find all of our parts that were in the Cost Roll Up that have a negative inventory so I can go over them.

You’ll have to calculate it yourself in the BAQ.

I’ve been going over that the past few days. Although I didn’t search for my running total yet. I’ll check that out. Thanks!

This thread has BAQ’s that are pretty close to what you are looking for.

1 Like

So i pulled the Inventory/WIP report and exported it to excel. I was able to generate a list of what has hit the GL that was picked via the reason code. And I also pull all the part trans history for the exact date for every part. After comparing both list of parts, I have several that have transactions on them but did NOT post to the GL. The ones that did not seems to have AVG costing, while all the others are STD. When doing the roll up I told it to use the costing method, so I am not sure why those parts did not hit.

This is what I was talking about in the other Cost Roll-up thread. negative QOH’s don’t follow what you’d expect.

Not all of these are negative though. Some are positive.