1 Skid/Pallet = 1 Packing Slip?

Hi all,
When creating a shipment in Epicor we have to create a packing slip for every pallet/skid.
That means that if we have a single order which has 3 pallets then we have to create 3 separate packing slips for that order.
I was wondering if there is anyway in Epicor where we can group multiple pallets/skids into one packing slip.
I am thinking of something like a UD field that say pallet number and assign those line items that were packed on that pallet(not really sure).
Our company is very particular with skid dims and weights for freight purposes and the only way we can do it at the moment is to create a packing slip for each skid.

1 Like

We did something similar and added a UD field to shipDtl table for entering the skid number. This way we can group by skid and generate separate labels etc.

Another option is to use the Bill of Lading option that comes with Epicor. This is used to combine multiple packing slips into one Bill of Lading.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

Have you looked at Package Control?

We dont have it, so Iā€™m not sure if it does what youā€™re looking for.

1 Like

You can turn on the functionality for manifest which can allow you to add multiple shipments to a single pack slip. They are just seperate lines with overall dims and tracking numbers , so you wonā€™t know whatā€™s on which pallet, but I think thatā€™s maybe what you are looking for. Even if you donā€™t have the manifest module you can flip some flags to turn that functionality on. I wish I could get you more specifics, but I have gotten it to work in a test environment.

1 Like

Can you use Master Pack Shipment Entry?

3 Likes

Good day all. Thank you all for the inputs
@Vinaykamboj How do you create the label per skid number and not per packing slip? I would think creating a customize report for that?
And yes the option to use BOL is currently the way we are going at the moment.
@ckrusen Havenā€™t tried Package Control yet but I will give it a shot. Thank you.
@Banderson We currently donā€™t have manifest. I tried looking at it today and phantom packing might help. it looks like it can create multiple cases, enter dims and weights on each case on a single packing slip.
@utaylor We tried using Master Pack and it will still requires us to create packing slips for each pallet.

PCID MAY help you but keep in mind that you cannot mix multiple sales orders on the same PCID (re: skid).

It works fine if each skid is a separate entity as far as PCID is concerned (re: you havenā€™t created a Master PCID with child PCID within it that represent different SOs).

All out of the box related documents have been updated to carry forward the PCID information. For example, the Packing Slip can list BY PCID the contents of each PCID (there is a checkbox for listing it or not).

Also, labels via a PCID can only be printed with Bartender setup at the moment! Standard labels can still be used though if you donā€™t have specific PCID information requirements on the label.

1 Like

If you are a member of EUG then there is a nice 45 minute webinar run by Mark Kaminsky on PCID it provides several use cases.

2 Likes

We create customer shipments. Then mark them closed, but not shipped.
Then we pull those shipments into a master pack and do 1 master pack per skid/pallet. We then stage and ship confirm the master pack which will mark all of the customer shipment packs in that master pack as shipped.

3 Likes

The standard way to group multiple Packs into one shipment is with Master Pack Entry.
First you create your Packs per Skid/Pallet as you have been doing, then in Master Pack Entry add the Packs.
This means you can print both a per skid/pallet pack list and a Master Pack List for the driver.
When you are ready to ship, you would Stage the Master Pack and use the Stage Ship Confirm program to ship the Master Pack which ships all the Packs inside the Master Pack as well.
I have a few clients that use this method.
I have another client where EVERY (and I mean every) Pack line was actually a separate skid, no exceptions. In that case we just changed the report to have a label that says ā€˜Skids:ā€™ and it was the count of the lines on the Pack.

4 Likes

We are doing something like this too @Rick_Bird .

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all your inputs and ideas. Greatly appreciated.
PCID seems to be a little complicated.
Using Master Pack will be a way to go for us, when grouping skids into a single pack.
we just have to deal with the standard way which @Rick_Bird @utaylor @Eric_Howell has mentioned.
Create a unique packing slip per pallet and group it somehow using MasterPack.
Thanks again everybody.

Look up the help on Master Pack Shipment Entry.

You use Customer Shipment Entry to create unique pack IDs for each skid and then you add each one of those pack IDs to a MasterPackID.

2 Likes

Also, if you use the handheld module, there is a way to add Packs to Master Packs via the handheld as well. Let us know if you get stuck.

2 Likes

Got it @utaylor.
Thank you.

Just a clarification, Master Pack would only work where you want to combine packs to the same customer correct? Sorry if that sounds a rather rudimentary conceptā€¦ I am hoping that I have not missed anything in that whole, packout/master pack/BOL process

We load our own trucks and we struggled to find a solution to that issue, although I sort of thought that you could might be able to setup your truck as a reusable PCID so you could stage your shipments regardless of customer. I have not tested that though. In the mean time we had a customisation built that provides us the capability to group shipments (inbound and outbound) to report on, change the order of the output on the report if need be and give that to the driver as run sheet along with all the packing slips/PODs

We developped our own ā€œsolutionā€ for this as we do as well ship to different customers with our own trucks (local delivery). We called that ā€œRoutesā€. Whenever our truck leaves the company, he delivers multiple packs to different customers, we assign a route number (autogenerated) to the delivery . We wanted to capture each route in order to capture the costs of the use of the truck (km, gaz etcā€¦ ) to find out after a period of time if we are charging our customers a fair price for the deliveryā€¦the end goal being are we loosing money with our deliveriesā€¦:wink:

1 Like

@Hally
Master Packā€™s are grouped by Customer Ship To, not Customer.
But for your situationā€¦ where each truck contains multiple Packs or Master Packs going to different customers, you can still group by Stage, no need to use PCID. Stages are reusable and can be set on the Pack or Master Pack.
Then you can work with the entire Stage group when shipping.
So stages can be whatever organization that works for you. Per truck or Carrier or Dock, whatever makes sense for shipping at the same time.
I have found the Staging functionality to be pretty powerful and useful for all kinds of business cases.

2 Likes

Did something like this once, but used the Stage instead of a custom field, worked well.

Thanks @Rick_Bird Much appreciated.