1 Skid/Pallet = 1 Packing Slip?

Yes our transsport mod uses custom fields on customer and ship tos as well as suppliers to group them into like delivery zones. But as @Rick_Bird mentioned there is actually no reason why you couldn’t use the stage for this…Although we actually move our picked/pack products to specific racks and then they get loaded onto trucks at later date/time. I orginally had considered using stages as those delivery “racks”, then the stage ship confirm is run when the truck actually drives out the gate.

I think our customisation will need a bit more work, but I don’t think it has been a total waste.

Rick is this something you created or an Epicor add-on?

Master Packs? No, I thought it was either part of Shipping Module or the Pack Out Module, not sure which.
You should see ‘Master Pack Shipment Entry’ and ‘Stage Ship Confirm Entry’ under Material Mgmt > Shipping / Receiving > General Operations

Does anyone know if you can peel out assemblies or materials on jobs into separate PCID’s? Example: We build a piece of equipment on 1 job and it will be skidded on two skids.

No you can’t. One job, one part number (with some exceptions for co-parts and salvage…). We had to make a whole different solution and schema to go with jobs to keep track of trucks and skids and parts of jobs that all get shipped.

Thanks Brandon, If you don’t mind me asking what was your solution to splitting assemblies on jobs onto different packs?

It was with UD tables. The Schema as a part goes into a "lift " (basically a pallet or whatever unit you wanted it to be) and a lift goes into a truck. These were all with KEY’s that referenced them to the job. We had a third party help us develop this with and IOS app that handled scanning and we used Bartender and zebra printters to print out label and barcodes for each different thing so it could be scanned and added to to the next larger unit. It was pretty slick. A lot of work, and $150k+ investment. But was totally worth it.

Thank you for the reply! That does sound slick, we don’t have that kind of budget. Anyone else been successful splitting job assemblies on different PCID’s? Even if you used UD fields, I am curious what the process is.

The investment wasn’t for the schema per-Se, it was really for the app development and hardware to make the data entry palatable. If you have the time to have people enter data in manually, you can make UD entry screens for all of the entry. I did all of the Epicor dashboards to view everything on my own, so that was just my time. I also handled all the labels with bartender, and just had the app builders drop text files in predetermined watch folders. That can be done with customized dashboards as well. (I have a thread around here that shows how I learned how to do that). We went the extra mile because we had enough problems with people entering the information as it was, so if we didn’t make it as easy as possible, it was going to fail. Even so, it took some enforcement to really get it working.

And PCID, is designed to do the opposite of what you are looking for. (grouping multiple order lines).

Thanks for the info. We need both, we need to group multiple order lines and we also need to split jobs/materials. We building large equipment and small parts. It is typical for us to group all the small components together into a pallet box, then the equipment just goes right onto an open truck. So we actually need both. I know we can achieve this my building a process around a spread sheet, but I wanted to do this in Epicor to keep everything together.

In a previous life/job, we did this combination with using the sales kit functionality and product configurator. Think of an office desk in pieces, file cabinet, work surface, pencil tray, leg, modesty panel, hardware pack, etc.
The configurator would build the primary FG order/part number with the child part/pieces as a sales kit. The components were shippable individually if needed or could be combined into one pack. still a few things to work around like pricing, labeling, etc. There were some customizations put in, but it did work.

If everytime you manufacture X you always split it, then you could use co-parts. When you manufacture X you also get Y, put them both into stock and then ship them both. If you ever don’t split the part into 2, you could just add another job to take the output of the co-part job and assemble them into the final part.

Rick

What are your thoughts if you then needed to consolidate skids for a container?

If all the skids (packs) are for the same Customer Ship To, then Master Packs is what you want.

Let me restate this

We can have one carton for a shipment - Customer Shipment Entry
We can multiple Cartons on a Skid - Master pack For the Skid
We can end up with Multiple Skids for the customer/shipto (Amazon is a good example) - how would we consolidate the multiple skids into a shipment?

I have started looking at PCID for this but not sure.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

1 Like

You could add the Master Packs to a Bill of Lading, but that results in a BOL not a detailed Pack List.
If you need a Detailed Pack List then I would go the PCID Route:

• Cartons go into PCID’s (Skids)
  • Add PCID’s to Packs
  • Add Packs to Master Packs

PCID is a bit tricky to get your head around, even after going through the Training Course, working out your business process and what PCID setups are needed and how they should be setup can be a challenge and a lot of trial and error. Once you work out the solution it will be easy for everyone else to use.
the Training Course is called ‘Package Control Identification’

1 Like

Good point Rick, very flexible and therefore it takes a lot of tinkering around to get exactly what works for you.

Rick

Thank you and that was the thought I had. I have plans in June for a few training classes and I will add this to the list.

Thank you for the insight.

John

1 Like