Yahoo Groups Shutting Down

Glad we moved all the Yahoo content here RIP Vantage Yahoo Group!

From Slashdot: Yahoo Groups Is Winding Down and All Content Will Be Permanently Removed - Slashdot

Yahoo Groups Is Winding Down and All Content Will Be Permanently Removed

Yahoo announced on Wednesday that it is winding down its long-running Yahoo Groups site. From a report: As of October 21, users will no longer be able to post new content to the site, and on December 14 Yahoo will permanently delete all previously posted content. “You’ll have until that date to save anything you’ve uploaded,” an announcement post reads. Yahoo Groups, launched in 2001, is a cross between a platform for mailing lists and internet forums. Groups can be interacted with on the Yahoo Groups site itself, or via email. In the 18 years that it existed, numerous niche communities made a home on the platform. Now, with the site’s planned obsolescence, users are looking for ways to save their Groups history.

6 Likes

Does anyone think that the file section in old Yahoo Group is worth saving and moving here?
We didn’t do that before because there isn’t / wasn’t correlation between files and posts.
But we could still bring them here if it’s worth it

• Save files in a post here
  • Nah they are old and useless
  • I don’t care… What’s Yahoo?

0 voters

I voted no and for the most part, I don’t care about Yahoo files anymore.

However, if it’s not a big job, I wondered if some files might be useful for anyone?
Thinking of those who may have inherited an old Progress based system and have no documentation?

Of course, I’m a compulsive saver too.

1 Like

I would like to suggest an EPIUSERS.HELP organizational GitHub site for files. Why?

• Files would be easy to find and version for each, well, version.
  • No zipping required and multiple projects would be a breeze.
  • They can have a link(s) back to the forum and the forum and link out to the files.
  • We might even be able to do a simple Wiki in GitHub too - one that would be much easier than WikiMedia.
7 Likes

I will look into setting up gitlab on the epiusers server for this purpose.
As far as the wiki goes, this site can turn an post into a wiki. I’m not sure what the benefit of it would be though?

On one hand, they might be old and useless, cluttering up this site. But then, there was some good stuff on there that might come in handy. I like the idea of an area that a person could go to to research old stuff but not have it clutter the main site. It would probably be good to have an area here that some of the older posts get archived to as well.

2 Likes

Never Forget Yahoo Pipes!

I’m wondering if Microsoft’s new Fluid Framework will pick up the idea of Pipes? Fluid seems like ActiveX for the web…