Week of Year in Serial Number?

Week of year isn’t one of the serial mask options, but it is a requirement we need to meet. I’ve tried to push it through with a BPM on GetSerialNumFormat but can’t get it to work. Anyone have success getting a calculated value into a serial number with a BPM?

Thanks!

I can’t speak to having tried to write a BPM to work with the GetSerialNumFormat method, but I do have one bit of advice related to Serial Masking. Even though you are changing the mask digits with the date (i.e. YYWW or something similar), it does not include those digits when it calculates uniqueness. It will only look at the sequencing digits. For example, we use a mask that goes YYMM#### (not sure how Epicor formats it). So even though we’d never exceed 9999 serialized machines in a single month, it does not work like that. It’s 9999 serialized machines ever. That came back to bite us a few months back when we “ran out of serial numbers”. Haha. Needless to say, that was a fun one. I still haven’t gone back to implement a fool proof solution long term. The current band-aid is a new mask with the exact same format but named something different. Sighs

Very interesting point, Dan. Thanks for commenting!

For anyone interested in our solution: we ended up creating an in-transaction data directive on the SerialNo table that updates the serial number as it is being created. We used a few different calculated variables to get the two digit year and the week of year. We use a specific prefix in the Serial Mask (YYWW) and then use “YYWW” as a lookup to grab the right serial numbers to update. Still doing some testing, but so far so good!

2 Likes

Would you be able to share your solution? I have the same issue.

Woul you be able to provide screenshots or steps on this?

Happy to share! Please send me an email (laurapearce@exalttechnology.com) and I will reply with a PDF detailing my BPM design (the file is a little too big to share here).