Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything oth

Mike, you can still record the costs for the NC number and capture it as a period cost. As for the new part you would enter a Inventory UM that would allow decimals

I am traveling this week in North Carolina working on an implementation but will be back in my office on Friday. If you want we can setup a gotomeeting and I would be glad to talk through these options with you

Let me know

Mark Wagner

To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

I think I see what you are saying but the REASON we switched to Non-Conform/DMR only was so we could “remove” the scrapped parts costs off of the job and recognize them.  Would your suggestion not defeat that purpose as how would there be any costs for the 12345NC parts?  BTW, THANK YOU for going through this with me as it’s becoming a major pain in my tail…..

Also, if I were setting up something new.. Again, how would I need to setup a “new” part so I could report partial quantities to NonConform/DMR?

Mike…

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wagner
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

Makes sense. If you are not serial tracking parts and just want to report as a non-conformance, you could create a new nonconformance part number, (i,e, 12345NC) and, if you had a non-conformance you would fail it as this part number. You could add that non-conformance part number as a manufactured assembly, make it a pull as assembly with only an operation underneath so that it is not driving MRP requirements, and add it to your methods or, if you dont want to go through the hassle of updating all your methods, just add it as an assembly to the job if/when the job has a non-conformance. The part with the NC on the end would be the part that was non-conformed and, could either be re-worked to the job or, if it was not able to be reworked you could fail it in DMR-REJ.

To: "vantage@yahoogroups.com" <vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

Mark,

We actually recently “switched” to not using/allowing anyone to  scrap at all as we want to realize costs and we cannot do that with scrap so now we run EVERYTHING through Non-Conform/DMR.  This problem really only occurred when we started running all “scrap” through the non-conformance system.  Apparently, “scrapping” the parts were more lenient in Vantage to allowing partials than the “non-conformance” system is (or at least even though it through an error, it still allowed them to enter them and the system took it).  It wasn’t until we switched to NonConform/DMR only that the users came to me and told me that the system isn’t taking the partial numbers anymore or if it does, it rounds them sometimes and sometimes not.  What are our options?

Mike Abell
Information Technology Manager
Flexial - BOA Group - Cookeville, Tennessee
Office:   931.432.1853 ext 302
Mobile:  615.418.3055

email:  MAbell@...

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wagner
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

Depends on what you mean by scrap versus non-conform. If you non-conform you will be taking a different path through inspection, DMR, etc and it has different impacts on GL costs. Scrap is used more as a reason code to determine why you are issuing more material to a job than was required

In either case, unless your UM is something other than ea (such as feet, inches), in the example below, if you used half of your materials and ended up non-conforming a part you would still put in a non conformance for your assembly as 1. (Even if you decide you made a bad assembly, you would non-conform it to inspection, then reject it to DMR, then reject it outright through a DMR-REJECT transaction. )

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:42 PM

Mark, what kind of U/M setup would I need to setup new parts with in order for this to work?  An example of our manufacturing process would be we have a finished part 12345 which is made up 500 54321’s.  If we get to 250/500 54321’s put together  and have a  problem, we scrap .5 12345’s.  How would we setup the 12345 to be able to scrap/nonconform this way?

Mike Abell

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:12 PM

No thats not going to help you. I would say right now the only option would be to use dimensions

If you think about it, Epicor is correct because if a part unit of measure is ea it really isnt logical that you could scrap or non conform part of an ea

Right now, either new part number with new unit of measure or we would need to look at dimensioning

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:58 PM

I'm guessing All of our parts (thousands) are setup this way.  There is a checkbox called whole part that is NOT checked that online help says is  "indicates that quantities of this part must be whole numbers for manufacturing details".  As stated, this is  NOT checked.  Any ideas?

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:18 PM, "Mark Wagner" <mjfw2003@...<mailto:mjfw2003@...>> wrote:

Yes that is the problem. Check your unit of measure in Vantage 8, I cant remember if it had a checkbox on it like it does in Epicor 9 to allow decimals on a unit of measure each. A U\M cannot be changed on the fly, you would have to create new parts

The only other thing I can think of is to set dimensions on your parts where you want to scrap/non conform a partial quantity. On your part setup under dimensions you can define dimensions such as 1/2, 1/4 etc

How many parts are like this?

To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:18 PM

Mark, yes, that appears how we have them setup.  Is this the problem?  If it is, what would we enter in part setup to allow “partial” quantities to be scrapped/nonconformed?  Can a part U/M be changed “on the fly”?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wagner
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:43 AM

Mike, are all of your parts in UM of each?

To: "vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>" <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:14 AM
Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

We are getting an “input string was not in a correct format” error when we put any value other than a whole number in the scrap or non-conformance entry when reporting labor.  For example, if we enter 2 parts nonconformance, everything works, if we enter 2.4 parts nonconformance, it throws this error.  I was told they have dealt with this for years and the workaround was to enter a whole number then put in a reason code and then go back and enter the partial and then save and that worked.  Recently though, it appears “sometimes’ after they save and we go check we found that  it will throw out the partial decimal, sometimes it will round it to the next whole number and sometimes it will just set it to 0 if the value is less than 1.  This is unacceptable.  Is there a solution for this?  Please help!!  Thanks!

Mike Abell
Office:  931.432.1853 ext 302
email:  MAbell@...<mailto:MAbell@...>

------------------------------------

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note:  You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo!Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    vantage-digest@yahoogroups.com
    vantage-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    vantage-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

We are getting an “input string was not in a correct format” error when we put any value other than a whole number in the scrap or non-conformance entry when reporting labor.  For example, if we enter 2 parts nonconformance, everything works, if we enter 2.4 parts nonconformance, it throws this error.  I was told they have dealt with this for years and the workaround was to enter a whole number then put in a reason code and then go back and enter the partial and then save and that worked.  Recently though, it appears “sometimes’ after they save and we go check we found that  it will throw out the partial decimal, sometimes it will round it to the next whole number and sometimes it will just set it to 0 if the value is less than 1.  This is unacceptable.  Is there a solution for this?  Please help!!  Thanks!

Mike Abell

Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 8.03 Scrap/Noncormance qty entry error with anything other than whole # entered

Mike Abell

Mark, yes, that appears how we have them setup. Is this the problem? If it is, what would we enter in part setup to allow “partial” quantities to be scrapped/nonconformed? Can a part U/M be changed “on the fly”?

Mike Abell

Yes that is the problem. Check your unit of measure in Vantage 8, I cant remember if it had a checkbox on it like it does in Epicor 9 to allow decimals on a unit of measure each. A U\M cannot be changed on the fly, you would have to create new parts

The only other thing I can think of is to set dimensions on your parts where you want to scrap/non conform a partial quantity. On your part setup under dimensions you can define dimensions such as 1/2, 1/4 etc

Mark, yes, that appears how we have them setup.  Is this the problem?  If it is, what would we enter in part setup to allow “partial” quantities to be scrapped/nonconformed?  Can a part U/M be changed “on the fly”?

Mike Abell

I'm guessing All of our parts (thousands) are setup this way. There is a checkbox called whole part that is NOT checked that online help says is "indicates that quantities of this part must be whole numbers for manufacturing details". As stated, this is NOT checked. Any ideas?

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:18 PM, "Mark Wagner" <mjfw2003@...<mailto:mjfw2003@...>> wrote:

Mark, yes, that appears how we have them setup. Is this the problem? If it is, what would we enter in part setup to allow “partial” quantities to be scrapped/nonconformed? Can a part U/M be changed “on the fly”?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wagner

To: "vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>" <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>

We are getting an “input string was not in a correct format” error when we put any value other than a whole number in the scrap or non-conformance entry when reporting labor. For example, if we enter 2 parts nonconformance, everything works, if we enter 2.4 parts nonconformance, it throws this error. I was told they have dealt with this for years and the workaround was to enter a whole number then put in a reason code and then go back and enter the partial and then save and that worked. Recently though, it appears “sometimes’ after they save and we go check we found that it will throw out the partial decimal, sometimes it will round it to the next whole number and sometimes it will just set it to 0 if the value is less than 1. This is unacceptable. Is there a solution for this? Please help!! Thanks!

Mike Abell
Office: 931.432.1853 ext 302
Mobile: 615.418.3055
email: MAbell@...<mailto:MAbell@...>
No thats not going to help you. I would say right now the only option would be to use dimensions

If you think about it, Epicor is correct because if a part unit of measure is ea it really isnt logical that you could scrap or non conform part of an ea

Right now, either new part number with new unit of measure or we would need to look at dimensioning

I'm guessing All of our parts (thousands) are setup this way.  There is a checkbox called whole part that is NOT checked that online help says is  "indicates that quantities of this part must be whole numbers for manufacturing details".  As stated, this is  NOT checked.  Any ideas?

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note:  You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo!Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)

Mark, what kind of U/M setup would I need to setup new parts with in order for this to work?  An example of our manufacturing process would be we have a finished part 12345 which is made up 500 54321’s.  If we get to 250/500 54321’s put together  and have a  problem, we scrap .5 12345’s.  How would we setup the 12345 to be able to scrap/nonconform this way?

Mike Abell

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)

Depends on what you mean by scrap versus non-conform. If you non-conform you will be taking a different path through inspection, DMR, etc and it has different impacts on GL costs. Scrap is used more as a reason code to determine why you are issuing more material to a job than was required

In either case, unless your UM is something other than ea (such as feet, inches), in the example below, if you used half of your materials and ended up non-conforming a part you would still put in a non conformance for your assembly as 1. (Even if you decide you made a bad assembly, you would non-conform it to inspection, then reject it to DMR, then reject it outright through a DMR-REJECT transaction. )

Mike Abell

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)

Mark,

We actually recently “switched” to not using/allowing anyone to  scrap at all as we want to realize costs and we cannot do that with scrap so now we run EVERYTHING through Non-Conform/DMR.  This problem really only occurred when we started running all “scrap” through the non-conformance system.  Apparently, “scrapping” the parts were more lenient in Vantage to allowing partials than the “non-conformance” system is (or at least even though it through an error, it still allowed them to enter them and the system took it).  It wasn’t until we switched to NonConform/DMR only that the users came to me and told me that the system isn’t taking the partial numbers anymore or if it does, it rounds them sometimes and sometimes not.  What are our options?

Mike Abell

Mike Abell

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)

Makes sense. If you are not serial tracking parts and just want to report as a non-conformance, you could create a new nonconformance part number, (i,e, 12345NC) and, if you had a non-conformance you would fail it as this part number. You could add that non-conformance part number as a manufactured assembly, make it a pull as assembly with only an operation underneath so that it is not driving MRP requirements, and add it to your methods or, if you dont want to go through the hassle of updating all your methods, just add it as an assembly to the job if/when the job has a non-conformance. The part with the NC on the end would be the part that was non-conformed and, could either be re-worked to the job or, if it was not able to be reworked you could fail it in DMR-REJ.

Mark,

Mike Abell

Mike Abell

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)

I think I see what you are saying but the REASON we switched to Non-Conform/DMR only was so we could “remove” the scrapped parts costs off of the job and recognize them. Would your suggestion not defeat that purpose as how would there be any costs for the 12345NC parts? BTW, THANK YOU for going through this with me as it’s becoming a major pain in my tail…..

Also, if I were setting up something new.. Again, how would I need to setup a “new” part so I could report partial quantities to NonConform/DMR?

Mike…

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Mark,

Mike Abell

Mike Abell

Sent from Mike's Iphone5

Mike Abell

<*> Your email settings:

(Yahoo! ID required)