Vantage 8.03.407a - unable to identify idle PIDs eating up CPU/m

As far as I know, there is no way to display the tasks.
But... I had something like what you describe.

In my case the CPU utilization was due to ODBC.
- one connection would initialize all the resources.
- those resources aren't released immediately, I can't remember how long it takes.

Are you having any problems with your server?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Mauricio <gerrym@...> wrote:
>
> We're on Vantage 8.03.407a (Progress openedge 10.1b).
> Using my System Monitor (as sysadmin or manager - and displaying ALL TASKS), I am unable to see ALL the Active Tasks.
> I can only see my own Active Tasks.
> Does anyone have a workaround to this if you've run into the same problem?
> Epicor Helpdesk has no answer for me so far.
>
> Here's the real problem:
> At this time of the day (Friday), I hardly have anyone actively using the system (I have less than 3 users left).
> My process explorer is showing I have almost 60% CPU utilization across the board (I have 8 CPUs).
> Using the same process explorer (sort by CPU utilization), I am able to identify the 4 high CPU utilizing PID's.
> I go to my Progress Explorer Tool, and those same 4 PIDs are showing idle (Last Change over 4 hours ago).
> I would like to kill the PIDs but I cannot because in the last 24 hours, whenever I kill an 'idle pid', it shuts down all my app servers, and I end up rebooting the system just to recover (not advisable when you have almost 200 users on the system). This has happened to me twice already in the last 24 hours, so I do not want to kill the PIDs at this time. In the meantime, my CPU/memory is high and my users have been complaining.
> I was with Epicor for almost 2 hours and they cannot help me.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Btw, I did create my own BAQ to show the contents of the Tasks (system monitor table) since my system monitor is useless right now, and it still only just shows me completed tasks (even though I'm not filtering anything except the start date).
>
> Thanks.
> Gerry
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
We're on Vantage 8.03.407a (Progress openedge 10.1b).
Using my System Monitor (as sysadmin or manager - and displaying ALL TASKS), I am unable to see ALL the Active Tasks.
I can only see my own Active Tasks.
Does anyone have a workaround to this if you've run into the same problem?
Epicor Helpdesk has no answer for me so far.

Here's the real problem:
At this time of the day (Friday), I hardly have anyone actively using the system (I have less than 3 users left).
My process explorer is showing I have almost 60% CPU utilization across the board (I have 8 CPUs).
Using the same process explorer (sort by CPU utilization), I am able to identify the 4 high CPU utilizing PID's.
I go to my Progress Explorer Tool, and those same 4 PIDs are showing idle (Last Change over 4 hours ago).
I would like to kill the PIDs but I cannot because in the last 24 hours, whenever I kill an 'idle pid', it shuts down all my app servers, and I end up rebooting the system just to recover (not advisable when you have almost 200 users on the system). This has happened to me twice already in the last 24 hours, so I do not want to kill the PIDs at this time. In the meantime, my CPU/memory is high and my users have been complaining.
I was with Epicor for almost 2 hours and they cannot help me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Btw, I did create my own BAQ to show the contents of the Tasks (system monitor table) since my system monitor is useless right now, and it still only just shows me completed tasks (even though I'm not filtering anything except the start date).

Thanks.
Gerry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Gerry -

SysTask does show me all of my currently active tasks (taskstatus = "ACTIVE"). If your problem is being caused by a scheduled task, the start date will be the date it was scheduled (or the system was last restarted). You might want to try filtering by LastActivityDate instead.

Kirstin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Mauricio <gerrym@...> wrote:
>
> We're on Vantage 8.03.407a (Progress openedge 10.1b).
> Using my System Monitor (as sysadmin or manager - and displaying ALL TASKS), I am unable to see ALL the Active Tasks.
> I can only see my own Active Tasks.
> Does anyone have a workaround to this if you've run into the same problem?
> Epicor Helpdesk has no answer for me so far.
>
> Here's the real problem:
> At this time of the day (Friday), I hardly have anyone actively using the system (I have less than 3 users left).
> My process explorer is showing I have almost 60% CPU utilization across the board (I have 8 CPUs).
> Using the same process explorer (sort by CPU utilization), I am able to identify the 4 high CPU utilizing PID's.
> I go to my Progress Explorer Tool, and those same 4 PIDs are showing idle (Last Change over 4 hours ago).
> I would like to kill the PIDs but I cannot because in the last 24 hours, whenever I kill an 'idle pid', it shuts down all my app servers, and I end up rebooting the system just to recover (not advisable when you have almost 200 users on the system). This has happened to me twice already in the last 24 hours, so I do not want to kill the PIDs at this time. In the meantime, my CPU/memory is high and my users have been complaining.
> I was with Epicor for almost 2 hours and they cannot help me.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Btw, I did create my own BAQ to show the contents of the Tasks (system monitor table) since my system monitor is useless right now, and it still only just shows me completed tasks (even though I'm not filtering anything except the start date).
>
> Thanks.
> Gerry
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I could be wrong, but unless something was submitted as a 'task' it will not show up. A poorly crafted BAQ or bad BO call via a customization will chew up CPU time but never show what is really using the CPU.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Kirstin Brandt" <kirstin.brandt@...> wrote:
>
> Gerry -
>
> SysTask does show me all of my currently active tasks (taskstatus = "ACTIVE"). If your problem is being caused by a scheduled task, the start date will be the date it was scheduled (or the system was last restarted). You might want to try filtering by LastActivityDate instead.
>
> Kirstin
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Mauricio <gerrym@> wrote:
> >
> > We're on Vantage 8.03.407a (Progress openedge 10.1b).
> > Using my System Monitor (as sysadmin or manager - and displaying ALL TASKS), I am unable to see ALL the Active Tasks.
> > I can only see my own Active Tasks.
> > Does anyone have a workaround to this if you've run into the same problem?
> > Epicor Helpdesk has no answer for me so far.
> >
> > Here's the real problem:
> > At this time of the day (Friday), I hardly have anyone actively using the system (I have less than 3 users left).
> > My process explorer is showing I have almost 60% CPU utilization across the board (I have 8 CPUs).
> > Using the same process explorer (sort by CPU utilization), I am able to identify the 4 high CPU utilizing PID's.
> > I go to my Progress Explorer Tool, and those same 4 PIDs are showing idle (Last Change over 4 hours ago).
> > I would like to kill the PIDs but I cannot because in the last 24 hours, whenever I kill an 'idle pid', it shuts down all my app servers, and I end up rebooting the system just to recover (not advisable when you have almost 200 users on the system). This has happened to me twice already in the last 24 hours, so I do not want to kill the PIDs at this time. In the meantime, my CPU/memory is high and my users have been complaining.
> > I was with Epicor for almost 2 hours and they cannot help me.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any suggestions. Btw, I did create my own BAQ to show the contents of the Tasks (system monitor table) since my system monitor is useless right now, and it still only just shows me completed tasks (even though I'm not filtering anything except the start date).
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Gerry
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>