Upgrading/Migrating to 10.2.100 friendly reminder

Support has had some cases where a customer mentioned that they were told they needed to upgrade to intermediate releases before upgrading to the latest release.

• If you are currently on any 10.x release, you can install 10.2.100.x and upgrade directly from 10.x to 10.2.100. That could be 10.0.600.4, 10.0.700.2, 10.1.400.12, 10.1.500.19 or even 10.1.600.20. Any 10.x release direct to 10.2.100.x.
  • if you are on some release pre-Epicor ERP 10.x, you need to upgrade to Epicor 9.05.702a first. Then, you can install 10.2.100.x and migrate directly to 10.2.100.x.

Please don’t assume that you have to stop at any 10.x releases between where you are starting at and 10.2.100 for your sake–that just increases the amount of upgrade time.

I return you back to your regularly scheduled programming.

13 Likes

Thank you!

I read the 10.2 upgrade instructions on EpicWeb and they indicate that a new installation of 10.2 and manual build of the application server is required. Do you recommend installing 10.2 and creating a new instance of the application server on the same physical machine hosting 10.0 or installing 10.2 and creating the application server on a new physical machine? What did you do for your upgrade?

Thank you in advance.

Abridged rules for happy IT people:

1. Never put anything on a production server that isn’t ready for production.
  2. Never make any changes to anything ever on Fridays so that one can enjoy their weekends. AKA: No change Fridays.

My way of saying that I would never recommend testing anything on a current production server. This isn’t to suggest that by installing 10.2 on your 10.0 production server that something will happen. Unless one knows how something will actually behave(by fully testing it elsewhere before putting it on the production server), then, it shouldn’t be put on the server that runs a business critical application IMHO.

One can install 10.2.x on a Windows 10 workstation, a virtual machine with very limited resources, another physical server, in Azure, let Epicor spin up a temporary testing environment on our infrastructure for you so you don’t have to touch your current production server for testing–anywhere that doesn’t currently run a business critical application today. I would recommend a virtual machine if you have the infrastructure to do so to test.

Once you are ready to upgrade your current production server to 10.2, I would recommend uninstalling the existing appserver process (removing it from the EAC, IIS, Windows file system) and then deploy a “new” appserver with the same name that was used before for that database at 10.2.

1 Like

Hi aidacra,

Good advice about the production server. I guess I should have been more clear. Our 10.0 production server is a VM, which we have cloned and indent to use for testing. If all goes well, we will rename it and move it to production, and of course update the client which is hosted on a terminal server. What I was asking is if installing 10.2 on the same VM hosting 10.0 is best practice, or if we should install it on a separate new VM, and also if it’s recommended to upgrade 10.0 to 10.1 then to 10.2? Have you gone through the upgrade process? What did you do?

Thanks,

John

Wouldn’t you know it - Upgrading to 10.2.200.latest this afternoon :frowning:

lol

I was told to do upgrades on Friday as well. so we (IT) have all weekend to get thing where they need to be.

The last upgrade to 10.2.200 was really smooth. No real software issues, just one report.