🔥 Upgrade issue .... clients not working!

We’re getting this error on clients after the upgrade:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          4/30/2023 12:43:22 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      <<>>
Description:
Application: Kinetic.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.CMenuXmlAdapter.getLocalVersion(System.String)
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.CMenuXmlAdapter.updateVersion(System.String)
   at Ice.Lib.Framework.CMenuXmlAdapter.UpdateLocalContextMenu(System.Object, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at Ice.Lib.Startup+<>c__DisplayClass32_0.<InitializeContextMenu>b__0(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

This happened to one of our clients during testing and we re-installed. We have cleared cache and reinstalled and nothing is working now. Has anybody seen this before? Any ideas on how to remediate? We log in (basic, AzureAD) and the login form disappears and this error shows…

Doug, I forget if the clients needed a certain .Net Runtime on them now.

I know the app server surely does, but I can’t tell where the error is originated from, server or client.

Also, have you tried clearing their personalizations?

I’ve done all of that. It was working before the upgrade on the pilot. I tested this over and over again, no issues. Of course I’m doing it today and BAM.

1 Like

Doug

I found this: KB0069977

1 Like

Yeah, I tried that. The issue seems to be coming from the Ice.Lib.EpiClientLib.dll

if (includeCustomization)
      {
        cmenuXmlAdapter.updateVersion("Customize");
        cmenuXmlAdapter.mergeXml(Sender, "Customize", baseOnly);
      }

If I comment this part out, it loads just fine.

Where is that code located?

The screen shot shows classic, but is it possible this is related to Ice.ShellLayoutPersonal? I have had client loading issues that cleared when I killed off the record for the user.

1 Like

I also purge all personalizations on each upgrade just to be sure there are no lingering gremlins.

1 Like

I think he said that he cleared them for the people, that was my thought too.

What’s the difference between LayoutID = ‘Default’ and LayoutID = ‘’

In my pilot, I blasted my records and I got straight in.

I am looking at my data to see if I can decipher that.

Seems I spoke too soon. Now it’s crashing again. No records in there.

It looks like Default has a SubType of kinetic and blank has a subtype of modern.

I know it does not clear favorites, so I would just clear the table.

1 Like

I think for now, to move forward, I’ll put a modified DLL to download to all the clients until I can get this resolved through support. I will keep looking into this today …

1 Like

I was wondering if /skipcheck or /autoloadsupress would make it not do that merge xml code

Even the updated DLL isn’t working for others. But it works for me. This is beyond odd.

EDIT: If I removed the call to updateVersion completely it works for all clients.

I will get with support and get this fixed. (or if I ever learn how to debug this, then I can figure out the root cause).

1 Like

Make sure if you upgrade, you either clear your old EpicorData (shared) or create a new one.

You mean the shared files on the server?