Upgrade Guide vs Update Guide

We are planning to move from 10.2.300.11 to 10.2.500.8. I’ve been reading through the 10.2.500 Release Upgrade Guide and also the 10.2.500.8 Update Guide and I’m a little confused how these 2 docs work together. In the Release Guide, there’s a section for “Install Epicor ERP 10.2.500.x Latest Update” with a small set of steps to follow. However, I have the same “Install Epicor ERP 10.2.500.x Latest Update” section in the Update Guide also (along with a bunch more steps after that).
Am I supposed to stop following the Release Guide at that point, switch over to the Update Guide until all 12-pages of steps are complete, and then come back to the Release Guide to finish those steps?

You should follow the release guide. If there is an update available to 10.2.500 you can then follow the Install Epicor ERP 10.2.500.x Latest Update guide.

1 Like

Is the 10.2.500 Environment going to be on the same servers that the 10.2.300 is?

We recently did an “upgrade”, from 10.1.400 to 10.2.300. And we wanted to use newer O/S’s and Hardware for the 10.2.300.

10.1.400 was on app server APP_A, with its DB on another server SQL_A. So new hardware was configured (really just VM instances), giving us servers APP_B and SQL_B.

We did the following:

1. Followed the instructions for a New Install of 10.2.300 onto APP_B (and SQL_B), and got a test system up and running.
  2. Backed up the DB for 10.1.400 (on SQL_A), and restored it to a DB on SQL_B.
  3. Using EAC on APP_B, updated the DB (as it contained the restored copy of the 10.1.400 DB)
    This took like 30 minutes as it first updates 10.1.400 to 10.1.500, then to 10.1.600, and so on.
  4. When launching 10.2.300 for the first time, did the Conversion Workbench to finish up getting the data form 10.1.400 into 10.2.300.

My issues were the fact that half of my actions were dictated by the “New Install Guide” doc, and the other half from the “Release Update Guide (10.x to 10.2.300)” doc.

2 Likes

The Update guide is like a service pack where any “#” changes level: XX.X.XXX.##

Upgrade guide is for the change in major and minor versions where any “#” change levels #.#.###.XXX after which you must run the release. This is akin to changing operating system versions as the entire appserver will be replaced with a new one rather than upgrading the existing one.

Yes, same servers. I’m just confused on what order to follow the 2 guides in. I know we need to follow the Release Guide, but then it has us doing the (minor) update within those steps. So then do we have to do all the steps in the Update guide as well (after we’re done with the Release upgrade)? There’s definitely one section in both guides that are exactly the same for installing the (minor) update.

Install the release first. When it’s complete don’t check the open admin box and close it. Then install the update. After doing this just follow the release guide and it will finish the install at the update level.