UOM Conversion - Quote in 8 Decimals - Do everything else with 2 decimals... is this possible?

We use adhesives that we will issue in gallons, but they are sold to us in pounds (lbs).

We will build a BOM based on one linear foot. This means we need a fraction (8 decimals) of a gallon defined for the adhesive and we have it set up that way in UOM. But when we run a product, it is always many (sorry for the vagueness) linear feet and the amount of adhesive required only needs two decimals (because they don’t issue 8 decimals of a gallon in production)

Basically in all areas of epicor where a transaction of this part is needed we have to use 8 decimals, but the only place we really require it is in quoting/a bill for one linear foot.

They don’t want to receive or issue parts using 8 decimals since they are always issuing it or receiving it using 2 decimals.

Any suggestions?

My own thoughts are if we are going to require 8 decimals then work with the 8 decimals. If it ends up making fractions left on hand in our lots because we only ever use 2 decimals then clean them up at the end of the month. But I thought I would ask this question anyways.

First off, be very very sure of what you are doing when setting up UOMs. Once transactions happen using these UOM conversions, they’re almost impossible to change.

Since this part needs conversion between two types (volume and weight) and the conversion varies with the particular part, look into part specific UOMs. Then you could other UOM conversions to get finer resolution with fewer decimal places. Make a UOM for “micro gallons”, and that gets you resolution you need.

0.00000001 GA = 0.01 uG

Edit

make sure everyone is well trained in using multiple UOMs. We’ve had to clean up many a job that issued 120 GA, when it should have been 120 OZ

We have a part specific UOM set up for the adhesive and it is 8 decimals.