UOM and UOM Classes implementation

I’m in the processing of migrating V8 to E10 and I’m a tad confused by the new UOM and UOM Classes.

I get the concept, but don’t quite follow the implementation. I don’t feel too bad, because if it was simple, Epicor wouldn’t have needed to make a 51 page document just for it. :slight_smile:

I get how 1 DZ = 12 EA, and 1 GS(gross) = 12 DZ = 144 EA.
And 12 IN = 1 FT = 0.3333333 YD
Etc …

But what about non-standard units like BX(box), PK(pack), CS(case), DR(drum), etc …?

We’d stock screws in UOM of EA(Each), but by them by the BX. And depending on the suppliers part, a “box” could be any quantity. For 4-40 screws it might be 100 screws, or 250 screws - depending on the supplier and/or the suppliers P/N. A BX of 1" bolts might be just 25 pieces.

And what about types that cross over?
A drum could be an arbitrary amount of a volume (1 gal, 5 gal, 30 gal, etc…) or an arbitrary amount of weight (10 lb, 25 lb, etc…) of color pellets for an injection molder.

It seems like the concept of UOM Classes was a good idea, but falls short of being able to cover the most real world applications.

Calvin

Calvin,
Mark the UOM part specific on your box unit of measure and dont put in any conversion factor. You will then be able to define the box qty for each part.

Crossovers,
The only thing I have come up with is to put something like a volume weight UOM V-LB. Not sure if this will work in the long run but am testing it now for us.

Calvin,

I just went through all of the struggles you mention. We have thousands of parts and needed to cleanup OUMs at the same time. Once you understand it, its not bad at all.

There is a conversation tool if you upgrade the database. This didnt work for us. We did it manually.

Non standards should be set as part specific or use the other categories.

I could type up another 50 page book for you. Do you want to call and review, I would be happy to show you how we setup some similar parts and UOMs.

-Bryan

Get Outlook for iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

You use part specific conversions for things like LBS to FT (example: bar stock). As far as BOX or CASE, etc. you can have several BOX to EACHs. Just call them BOX10, BOX100, BOX25, etc…
Greg

After spending some time over the weekend, I cam to this conclusion.

We even have odder UOMs than just BX10, BX20, etc… Those are at least COUNT to COUNT units.

We have pipe and tubing that we buy in 4’, 5’, 10’ and 20’ lengths. Certain products need a continuous length. So stocking it by the FT causes problems. You can make a (4) 4’ pieces out of a (4) 5’ pieces. But you can’t make (5) 4’ pieces out of 20 FT (consisting of (4) 5’ pieces).

I think I got a handle on it now. Trickiest part will be making sure All the parts ported from V8 to E10 have the right UOM Class, PUM and SUM.

Calvin

1 Like

You can also use multiples like 1/4BAR, 1/2BAR, 3/4BAR. Useful when dealing in feet like you’re describing. You can then see total feet in inventory broken down by multiples. Example: 350 FT inventory balance: 70 FT in 1/4BAR, 80 FT in 1/2BAR, 200FT in full bars.