Two quick sub-contract questions

Just looking at sub-contract and I can see the benefits of automatically raising POs for source material and automatically raising PO for labor for Sub-Contract op but do you still have to issue material to the job? do you still need to close the job when the sub-c Op is complete?

Thanks

Short answer, yes. It’s just like any other job in that sense. Jobs left open forever are a bad practice.

1 Like

Yes to both

1 Like

One other note - a sub-contract operation cannot be the last operation on a job. The completion of the sub-contract op is triggered by the following operation. Can seem odd, but in reality when you receive the sub-contracted piece back into the building you would be doing something with it.

1 Like

thanks @Vinaykamboj & @Ernie

That’s confirmed a few items I had.

Hi Jeff,

When you say a sub-contract cannot be the last operation I have a small job setup where there is only one sub-contract op for having a piece machined. I thought I ran through the job without so can you outline what the issue is with only a sub-c op. Can it not be closed? Is there a MFG-VAR produced?

Thanks

Matt

Not sure that I am on the same page as Jeff on the last operation statement. When you do a subcontract receipt that data entry completes the operation in my experience.

2 Likes

Sorry, I left out an important piece - a subcontract operation cannot be the last operation on a job when backflushed material is attached to the subcontract operation. It’s the following operation that triggers the backflush. A client had this happen when they sent out special paint with the part to their outside painter.

2 Likes

I have had subcontract operations as the last operation on a job. You just need to take the part to inventory after you have received it back in from the Subcontract operation. Works fine.

@jgreenaway I see your last post and that is more than likely correct.

Thanks for the update Jeff. I now recall looking into something similar a while ago re: backflush.