Trying to learn the basics

Hello there everyone,
I recently got assigned a project to a make 3 different update-able dashboards depending on the ID where employees can clock in their hours and basically make something like Microsoft Exchange 1997 Time Capture software.
I read through the baq course pdf and watched the advance dashboard video on the epicourusers.org site. I don’t have basic fundamental knowledge of how e10 or even epicor for that matter really works so I feel like I am on step 25 when watching the video when I don’t even know step 1. I recently just started to learn the very basic of SQL to help me get a better grasp of what is going on with Baqs and the such, and was curious if there any video tutorials or something a bit more visual for me to understand the basics of e10 or help me with the project in any sense to start heading in the right direction.

I appreciate any help I can get for a beginner like myself.

I recommend going through the Customization Guide at EpicWeb as well as the Tools Guide at EpicWeb. And learning the Epicor Quote to Cash process would do you wonders

5 Likes

Agree with Jose… you need to get some basic understanding of Epicor ERP before you start building updatable dashboards. I would even say that before building the updatable kind, you need to build a bunch of “regular” BAQs. You dont need to know sql to do so…
First start with something like a BAQ of the Part table, then add PartPlant table, and display columns from each. Same with OrderHed and OrderDtl and OrderRel… it will help you understand some of the layouts.

2 Likes

Augmenting that - learn BAQs, the data under them, then dashboards, then updatable everything.

2 Likes

My 2c, If your company has Embedded Education and it is installed in an environment, there is content there, also at Epicor University (Epicor Lerrning Center) you should be able to take some of the free courses available, They are relatively quick, although they all don’t give you the hands on step by step, they do help. The foundation courses will help you get a better understanding of how the system works also. You can also book online/web training courses as well as live ones in your area…

You can login to Epicor University here Epicor Learning Center, but you will need an Epicweb username and password.

And no I don’t work for Epicor, but I did get a certificate from the Epicor University team when I was a Insights last year and they were trailing/demonstrating the SCORM software that they use for the online courses. :slight_smile:

While I am on courses, If your business purchased Epicor Education, then you can do the step by step courses against the demo database as well as jumping out to the Epicor University for additional video content.

Why am I rambling on. The difference coming from a business that did not have embedded education to one that does is light and day. It is well worth the investment if you want to get the most out of your ERP system.

Epicor have come a long way with providing learning resources, technical content, and not to mention some very very helpful people that sit on e10help, taking their time to respond. I’ll admit you can get a bit bedazzled with the amount of information, but persevere, it’s a great journey.

3 Likes

I DO work for Epicor… and I will take this moment to promote Insights 2018 which is just around the corner. It is not too late to register… during Insights, there are many on-hands labs PLUS there are two days of extended education available (for extra cost). Insights is a great way to get your feet wet with all the capabilities of the system, with many sessions that are about one hour long.
The cost/hour of Insights is much lower than having any consultant come on-site… but you get access to developers, product managers, Education staff, Epicor consultants, 3rd party consultants, Epicor Partners, Epicor vendors, etc. My first time was in spring of 1999 as a customer, and said I would always return (got my wish).

2 Likes