The requested service...could not be activated. Memory Issues with SQL Reporting Services

Hello Epigurus,

We’re having these memory related errors pop up occasionally (sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month) and they look to be related to the SQL Server Reporting Services service running away with memory.

I’ve found quite a few memory related posts, but the only solution related to SSRS I’ve found is just to restart the service.

Restarting the service frees up the memory, and the errors goes away. We do have a limit on how much memory SQL can use, but it doesn’t look like it applies to the SSRS. We have a very simple epicor setup, everything runs off one box.

This happened twice this week, so I’m trying to figure out the root cause and hopefully fix the issue without having to do something manually. Any insights or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Wondering if you might have a problematic custom report that is only run occasionally…

Have you checked the SSRS trace log files? You can find them in the Program Files folder on your DB server.

1 Like

Looking through the log files now. Have a few events still logged so I have some time stamps to compare to.