Subassemblies but only 1 traveler / job?

Our Design team wants to be able to group common parts into subassemblies(these four parts make up this sub-part of the product). So they started creating subassemblies which makes their lives easier for maintaining BOMs, but unfortunately we found this resulted in many travelers to ship a single product which was very confusing for production… We’ve read about phantom BOMs as a possible solution to this problem, but it sounds like they can’t be lot tracked or serialized which is a deal breaker for us as we require both. Is there anything similar to a phantom BOM that can be lot tracked and serialized?

We’re considering writing a customization where we create a UD field engineering can use to group common parts.

Do you need to track the lot/serial number of the combined 4 parts?

Have you looked into the “Pull As Assy” setting in BOMs?

Pull as Assembly – Select this check box to indicate this material requirement should be manufactured as it is needed. Clear the check box to indicate this material requirement should be pulled from stock. If the check box is clear, the material is pulled into the job or quote as a material with no related manufacturing details. If the check box is selected, the material creates an assembly record on the job or quote, and all material and operation manufacturing details are pulled over.

I would double check that, the actual part number you use for the Phantom Bom can’t be lot or serial tracked (since it doesn’t show up on the job), but in your case, it’s a dummy number anyways just to group things. We don’t use lots or serial numbers so I’m not 100% sure, but I think that parts that are a material of a phantom BOM can be lot and serial tracked.