SSRS Data Source

Migrating from 10.1.400 to 10.2.300 (on new servers too), and I setup the SSRS on the new servers to use a unique report root for each App. I copied the the custom reports over by they all have a “bad” Data Source.

Original (and current Production) environment

• SSRS report root (in EAC App Config):

• <blank>
  • Path to a custom version of the OrderAck:

• Home > reports > CustomReports > SalesOrderAcknowledgment > SOForm-MATCOR_20180707a
  • The Data source in that report is

• /reports/SharedReportDataSource

New 10.2.300 enviroment

• SSRS report root (in EAC App Config):

• UAT_102300
  • Path to a custom version of the OrderAck:

• Home > UAT_102300 > reports > CustomReports > SalesOrderAcknowledgment > SOForm-MATCOR_20180707a
  • The Data source in that report is

• /reports/SharedReportDataSource
  • A data source in a “built-in” report for 10.2.300 is

• UAT_102300/reports/SharedReportDataSource

Browsing Home > UAT_102300 > Reports shows no objects named SharedReportDataSource.

Is that actually a DB on the SQL server?

Is there anyway to mass (or easily) update the data source value in every one of my custom reports being copied from my 10.1 environment to the new 10.2 one?

Or should I just setup my 10.2 environment like I had 10.1 (with all Apps sharing the same report storage?

this is located on the reportserver

http://SERVER/reports/

it should be at the bottom of all the folders.

Out of curiousity, why split your reports?

How did you copy the reports to the new environment? If you use Epicor (either through Report Style > Upload or through Solution Workbench), it should automatically update the Data Source for you.

We have a SharedReportDataSource in each of our environments’ directories (/Epicor/reports/SharedReportDataSource, /EpicorTest/reports/SharedReportDataSource, etc.). It contains a connection string to the reporting database Epicor exports the report data to.

Is, “It seemed like a good idea at the time.” a valid answer?

I’ve seen other people setup their environments like that, and thought I’d follow suit.

We split our reports so that we can make changes to report RDLs in the Test or Pilot environments without affecting live reports. I know in 10.2.300 you can use the SSRS report designer to have a “temporary” version of the report without publishing it, but this lets me make changes and have users test with more than just the sample data.

3 Likes

What are those paths in reference to? An actual O/S directory?
Or something more virtual like the “directory” structure of the SSRS ReportServer?

Those are the SSRS ReportServer paths.

2 Likes

its on your reportserver. http://servername/reports

2 Likes

Never mind …

Okay, I’ve found the files.

The URL will be the same as you entered in the Admin Console for Reporting Services, just change /ReportServer to /Reports. This will bring you to the portal in Dan’s post where you can view the RDLs and Shared Data Sources (which are all technically stored in the SSRS database so they aren’t real “files”).

@ckrusen,

Did you locate the datasource by opening IE and going to SSRS reports? If you have, you could technically just copy this source to UAT_102300/reports/
Then you just have to make sure the connection string is pointing to the correct database.

2 Likes

I found the DataSource(s) on my new 10.2 server.

Where what “works” (but most definitely not the best way). All of the following is in the SSRS via a web browser

1. Created folder home\reports
  2. Created Data Source in home\reports, with the same settings as the data source from home\UAT_102300\reports

The downside is that ds can only have a connection to one of the DB’s in the SSRS.

I’ll fix this all later