Sort Problems with BAQ Report Designer

My two cents here. I never use any sort options in the BAQ Report Designer.
The most I do is set up the sort names but never apply any sort criteria
below. The reason is that if you do any sort of grouping Crystal undoes the
work the server did to sort the data. I normally look at the parameters
table to determine the selected sort option and go from there.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Robert Brown
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:52 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Re: Sort Problems with BAQ Report Designer

Same here (408 WHEN?!?!) After a year of time waste being told a bug was
'workin as designed: (only if desinged by a moron), an SCR was finally
assigned in January and we've been waiting for it since after being told ETA
was March (contains an SCR fix on a significant global scheduler bug. Two
other major bugs we alreted them to in 404 were fixed with out help in
405... And this is the thanks we get for doing THERE QC and debug work for
them!)

WOULD IT KILL EPICOR TO ADVISE SCR SUBMITTERS ON revised RELEASE DATES FOR
THE RESOLVING UPGRADES?

I HATE their business model and execution of it.... They are DOOMED to a
short life if they don't get their act together and remember who is paying
who. This recession will wallop their cash cow of annual support/maintenance
fees. (Already happening as I watch this group shrink.)

They need to get their heads out to the clouds (or someone else less
pleasant) and refocus on serving customer's BUSINESS need in a timely
fashion (and making any internal department turf wars or infighting
invisible to us as it is THEIR problem.

I don't care about new bugging 'latest greatest technology (bleeding edge)
platforms (v9)... fix what is out there 1st. I would NEVER upgrade to 9
based on Epicor's performamce as a company. They simply are not their
(effectively) when you need them to help resolve critical business impacting
issues.

They don't care as long as they are getting paid.

Rob

--- On Tue, 4/28/09, melissa hietala <kevmel822@...
<mailto:kevmel822%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
From: melissa hietala <kevmel822@... <mailto:kevmel822%40yahoo.com> >
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 10:19 PM

Any news on when .408 may come out? I thought it was due out last week.....

Melissa Hietala

UMC, Inc.

melissah@ultramc. com

____________ _________ _________ __

To: vantage@yahoogroups .com

Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 3:58:08 PM

I called Epicor and found out this is a known bug. It is slated to be fixed
in ... WAIT FOR IT .... You Guessed IT !!!!! 408

Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:28:58 PM

Subject: [Vantage] Re: Sort Problems with BAQ Report Designer

I had the same exact problem in 8.03.404 Progress.

In the end, I believe that I figured out that the BAQ Report Sort Fields do
not actually sort anything. I think that they are just there to pass a
sorting variable to Crystal Reports. I think you have to go to your Crystal
Report and set up the various sorting options in the CR and use the
variables from the xml to convey the user's sort selection to the CR.

I never got it to work because I had to quit that BAQ report and move on to
a project that was more urgent.

Perhaps you will get a better explanation from someone else.

Lynn

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "sgotschall" <sgotschall@ ...> wrote:

>

> Vantage 8.03.407a Progress

>

> I have a BAQ/Crystal Report that I created using the BAQ Report Designer.
My option Fields and filters are working fine, but no matter how I set up my
sort fields the report ends up unsorted in any manner. I don't have any sort
set up on the BAQ or Crystal Report itself, just on the report menu screen.
Any ideas on why it won't sort?

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Vantage 8.03.407a Progress

I have a BAQ/Crystal Report that I created using the BAQ Report Designer. My option Fields and filters are working fine, but no matter how I set up my sort fields the report ends up unsorted in any manner. I don't have any sort set up on the BAQ or Crystal Report itself, just on the report menu screen. Any ideas on why it won't sort?

In the end, I believe that I figured out that the BAQ Report Sort Fields do not actually sort anything. I think that they are just there to pass a sorting variable to Crystal Reports. I think you have to go to your Crystal Report and set up the various sorting options in the CR and use the variables from the xml to convey the user's sort selection to the CR.

I never got it to work because I had to quit that BAQ report and move on to a project that was more urgent.

Lynn

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "sgotschall" <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
>
> I have a BAQ/Crystal Report that I created using the BAQ Report Designer. My option Fields and filters are working fine, but no matter how I set up my sort fields the report ends up unsorted in any manner. I don't have any sort set up on the BAQ or Crystal Report itself, just on the report menu screen. Any ideas on why it won't sort?
>
I reported this to Epicor support a while back. It was a known issue that is supposed to be fixed in .408.

--
Brian W. Spolarich ~ Manager, Information Services ~ Advanced Photonix / Picometrix
    bspolarich@... ~ 734-864-5618 ~ www.advancedphotonix.com

-----Original Message-----
From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:29 PM

In the end, I believe that I figured out that the BAQ Report Sort Fields do not actually sort anything. I think that they are just there to pass a sorting variable to Crystal Reports. I think you have to go to your Crystal Report and set up the various sorting options in the CR and use the variables from the xml to convey the user's sort selection to the CR.

I never got it to work because I had to quit that BAQ report and move on to a project that was more urgent.

Lynn

>
>
> I have a BAQ/Crystal Report that I created using the BAQ Report Designer. My option Fields and filters are working fine, but no matter how I set up my sort fields the report ends up unsorted in any manner. I don't have any sort set up on the BAQ or Crystal Report itself, just on the report menu screen. Any ideas on why it won't sort?
>

------------------------------------

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo! Groups Links
I think Lynn is on the right track here. I have never passed a sort parameter and used it in a report, but by just a quick look, I found where one would do that. One of the BAQ Report parameters is SortBy. That appears to be the name you would have given to your sort. You can take the value of that parameter and use it in a formula to select the appropriate sort on value. Then, sort the Crystal report on the formula.

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror LLC
HOTEL LUXURY

"The World Leader in Back-lit Mirrors & Mirror TV Technology"

T 425 776-4946
A 11831 Beverly Park Rd, Bldg D, Everett, WA 98204 USA
www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com>

Note: The information contained in the e-mail, including any attachments, is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any reading, use or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at 425-776-4946 and delete this message from your system. Even though this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted by Electric Mirror LLC for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 1:29 PM

Lynn

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "sgotschall" <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
>
>

I called Epicor and found out this is a known bug. It is slated to be fixed in ... WAIT FOR IT .... You Guessed IT !!!!! 408

Lynn

>
>
>

I had it sort fine through crystal NOT BAQ.

Made a couple of reports already and it works.

You first need to order your sort by options: You need to list 1,2,3,etc.
1.Customer/OrderNum/LineNum
2.Order Number/LineNum/Release
3.Order Date/Customer/Order Num
Then in your crystal report add a formula called sortby:
then writy your code:
"if left ({BAQReportParameter.SortBy}, 1) = "1"
then
{BAQReportResult.Customer.Name}
else
if left ({BAQReportParameter.SortBy}, 1) = "2" and so on and so on."
Then you will need to add your formula called sort by to the record sort expert in your crystal report.

Hope this helps,

Jennifer
jsmith@...

>
>
>
Thanks, that is pretty much the solution I came up with. Hopefully Epicor will have this fixed in 408 like they said they would.

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:23:12 AM

You first need to order your sort by options: You need to list 1,2,3,etc..
1.Customer/OrderNum /LineNum
2.Order Number/LineNum/ Release
3.Order Date/Customer/ Order Num
Then in your crystal report add a formula called sortby:
then writy your code:
"if left ({BAQReportParamete r.SortBy} , 1) = "1"
then
{BAQReportResult. Customer. Name}
else
if left ({BAQReportParamete r.SortBy} , 1) = "2" and so on and so on."
Then you will need to add your formula called sort by to the record sort expert in your crystal report.

Hope this helps,

Jennifer
jsmith@asmfab. com

>
>
>

Any news on when .408 may come out? I thought it was due out last week.....
 Melissa Hietala
UMC, Inc.
melissah@...

I called Epicor and found out this is a known bug. It is slated to be fixed in ... WAIT FOR IT .... You Guessed IT !!!!! 408

Lynn

>
>
>

Same here (408 WHEN?!?!) After a year of time waste being told a bug was 'workin as designed: (only if desinged by a moron), an SCR was finally assigned in January and we've been waiting for it since after being told ETA was March (contains an SCR fix on a significant global scheduler bug. Two other major bugs we alreted them to in 404 were fixed with out help in 405... And this is the thanks we get for doing THERE QC and debug work for them!)

WOULD IT KILL EPICOR TO ADVISE SCR SUBMITTERS ON revised RELEASE DATES FOR THE RESOLVING UPGRADES?

I HATE their business model and execution of it.... They are DOOMED to a short life if they don't get their act together and remember who is paying who. This recession will wallop their cash cow of annual support/maintenance fees. (Already happening as I watch this group shrink.)

They need to get their heads out to the clouds (or someone else less pleasant) and refocus on serving customer's BUSINESS need in a timely fashion (and making any internal department turf wars or infighting invisible to us as it is THEIR problem.

I don't care about new bugging 'latest greatest technology (bleeding edge) platforms (v9)... fix what is out there 1st. I would NEVER upgrade to 9 based on Epicor's performamce as a company. They simply are not their (effectively) when you need them to help resolve critical business impacting issues.

They don't care as long as they are getting paid.

Rob

--- On Tue, 4/28/09, melissa hietala <kevmel822@...> wrote:
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 10:19 PM

Any news on when .408 may come out? I thought it was due out last week.....

Melissa Hietala

UMC, Inc.

melissah@ultramc. com

Lynn

>

>

>