Security Reset

Is there anyway to “reset” security? I would like to just trash anything custom and go back to out of the box. I would do this when no one was on the system and then implement a new scheme.

Has anyone ever done something like this before?

Problem solved

1 Like

I’ve never done it before…

If you remove all Security restrictions in Menu Security, that should allow everyone to see everything (with the exception that only users who are Security Managers will see System Setup and System Maintenance).

If you also have Service Security (previously called Process Security) and/or Field Security set, you’ll need to clear those as well…

Further, if you’re using any Security Groups in BPMs you’d need to clear those too.

Now that all those are cleared, you basically have no security set… but you STILL DO have users attached to Security Groups. Before you can actually “reset” the user community, you’ll need to modify whatever you need to modify on that level as well.

This is not an undertaking to be considered lightly…

1 Like

@jgiese.wci Exactly what I’m looking for!

@Ernie I can say that we are not using Service Security, Field Security, or Security Groups in BPMs. The instance I am in originates from 1998 and there has never been anything resembling a security policy put in place. Which is why I am looking to nuke what is already there and set up something that someone can actually follow.

I was hoping there was something more automated as new menus have been created for different companies and it is just an absolute mess.

I did turn in an IDEA to expand “User Account Maintenance” to do something like add tabs for person/contact, employee, buyer, requisition approver, EWB, inspector, quoter, list security groups assigned, list if the user was directly added to a security code, see if user was added in table security somewhere. Would be much better to view or work on users from one spot.

Agree. Can you post a link? That is a great idea and would like to vote for it.

if you search for “user security” you should find it, it’s only got 2 votes and one of them is mine. But it did get flagged for future consideration.

Clearing out Menu Security is fairly simple via DMT, and removing the Security Groups from users isn’t much more problematic. That should get you back to a “no security” state.

Then all you have to do is create your new groups, assign appropriate users to each group, and then assign the groups to appropriate menu items.

Do you already know how you WANT the security to look?

That is a good point, I was not thinking of using DMT but am now.

Yes, I already have a scheme in mind using Groups. So I can do all of the work up front and then DMT everything out and then in.

Try it all in a TEST or PILOT environment first… you can also reset the user passwords in that environment so you can test each group.

Good luck!

Thanks. Playing around I just realized all I have to do on the menu security is check Allow Access to All Groups/Users and that will clear the list of selected names.

The final piece will be trying to figure out the company specific menu items.

Keep in mind you can also create your own security codes so if you added menu folders or just your own menu items you can put your own security code on it then assign a group to that and not double up on one of Epicor’s codes.