Security Question: Part Entry - Part Dimensions

We've pretty much always used the customized form approach and using a new menu item/security group to display one form to one group and a different menu item with a different form to another group.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
(8.03.409C)

Morning everyone.

I’ve ran into another wall and I’m hoping someone else has already climbed over this wall in the past and can offer some wisdom.

I have the need to somehow lock down the Part Dimensions tab within Part Entry. I need to restrict access to a few people.

I’ve tried Process Security on bo.PartDim.Update but that’s not actually the process that’s fired when you update a dimension in Part Entry. Part.Update is called. So....

I then tried my good friend BPM. Again, I attempted to monitor 3 fields in PartDim: DUM, DimConvFactor, DimCodeDescription. But the BPM would never fire.

Finally, I tried Field Level security on those 3 fields. Seemingly, at first, it was the solution. But, what I found out is that by applying Field Level security on the PartDim columns, when a user attempted to do a Job Receipt to Inventory, no Dimensions were available on the screen to choose from. Obviously this user was not an authorized user for those 3 fields in PartDim. So there goes that “solution”.

I guess my final thought would be to create a customized Part Entry screen and hide the Part Dimension tab and use menu security to hide/show the applicable Part Entry screen based on security. Authorized users would see one screen while unauthorized users would see the customized version without the Part Dim tab.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do that I’m overlooking?

TIA.

Vic

Vic, the custom/non-custom would be the best way to handle that and it’s cleaner. No real code to worry about.

Charlie Smith

2W Technologies LLC, Sr. Business Consultant

Phone: (312) 533-4033 x8046

(860) 620-9553

Fax: (847) 374-3620

2W Tech on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/2W-Technologies-LLC/139194569432409> www.2WTech.com <http://www.2wtech.com/>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Drecchio
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 9:18 AM
To: Vantage Yahoo
Subject: [Vantage] Security Question: Part Entry - Part Dimensions

(8.03.409C)

Morning everyone.

I’ve ran into another wall and I’m hoping someone else has already climbed over this wall in the past and can offer some wisdom.

I have the need to somehow lock down the Part Dimensions tab within Part Entry. I need to restrict access to a few people.

I’ve tried Process Security on bo.PartDim.Update but that’s not actually the process that’s fired when you update a dimension in Part Entry. Part.Update is called. So....

I then tried my good friend BPM. Again, I attempted to monitor 3 fields in PartDim: DUM, DimConvFactor, DimCodeDescription. But the BPM would never fire.

Finally, I tried Field Level security on those 3 fields. Seemingly, at first, it was the solution. But, what I found out is that by applying Field Level security on the PartDim columns, when a user attempted to do a Job Receipt to Inventory, no Dimensions were available on the screen to choose from. Obviously this user was not an authorized user for those 3 fields in PartDim. So there goes that “solution”.

I guess my final thought would be to create a customized Part Entry screen and hide the Part Dimension tab and use menu security to hide/show the applicable Part Entry screen based on security. Authorized users would see one screen while unauthorized users would see the customized version without the Part Dim tab.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do that I’m overlooking?

TIA.

Vic