Scrap in an operation

Hi Paul,

Yes - once again, it's a business process issue and not necessarily a Vantage issue!

On the one hand, our Machine Shop wants the flexibility to scrap at their Job Operation. On the other hand, our Quality group would like to be able to monitor that process with a NCM/Inspection/DMR process - as per your proposal. (You can probably tell who won that argument - which is why I have to write the Labor Scrap Report!)

I guess it comes down to whatever your business needs are - certainly an inspection process will provide a lot more tracking, but it'll also require a bit more effort.

Good luck!
Laraine

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <psmith@...> wrote:
>
> Laraine
>
> Thank you for your input. It seems to me that using the labor entry screen to scrap material/assemblies is not the best method. We, as a company, are pushing very hard to learn and utilize Vantage the way it was designed. I believe using the non-conformance/inspection processing/DMR processing is the best way to scrap an assembly off the job, is that a fair statement? Again thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The short answer is nothing happens when you report scrap in labor entry. Basically, it's material variance just like any other material variance you might have on the job. For better or worse, Epicor leaves this up to you what you want to do with the information.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "laraines422" <laraines422@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > We're on 8, so I can't tell if this will help or not.
> >
> > Our Machine Shop wants to be able to relate the scrap transactions as shown on the Inventory WIP Report (MFG-VAR) to specific labor transactions. Fortunately, they are a separate plant so it's relatively easy to isolate their transactions.
> >
> > I finally got an RDD copy of this report linked to Labor Detail - I've been working on it off and on - it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped, as least as far as identifying the specific Job Operation where the scrap event occured.
> >
> > Anyway - you might check with your Accounting group and see how they handle the postings to your variance accounts.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > Laraine
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Smith <psmith@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > > Paul Smith
> > > Inventory Management
> > > 233 Ballston Ave
> > > Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
> > > 518-245-4358
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > >
> > >
> > > The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>
>
> The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.

Paul Smith
Inventory Management
233 Ballston Ave
Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
518-245-4358

The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hi Paul,

We're on 8, so I can't tell if this will help or not.

Our Machine Shop wants to be able to relate the scrap transactions as shown on the Inventory WIP Report (MFG-VAR) to specific labor transactions. Fortunately, they are a separate plant so it's relatively easy to isolate their transactions.

I finally got an RDD copy of this report linked to Labor Detail - I've been working on it off and on - it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped, as least as far as identifying the specific Job Operation where the scrap event occured.

Anyway - you might check with your Accounting group and see how they handle the postings to your variance accounts.

Good luck!
Laraine

>
> Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.
>
>
> Paul Smith
> Inventory Management
> 233 Ballston Ave
> Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
> 518-245-4358
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
>
>
>
The short answer is nothing happens when you report scrap in labor entry. Basically, it's material variance just like any other material variance you might have on the job. For better or worse, Epicor leaves this up to you what you want to do with the information.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "laraines422" <laraines422@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> We're on 8, so I can't tell if this will help or not.
>
> Our Machine Shop wants to be able to relate the scrap transactions as shown on the Inventory WIP Report (MFG-VAR) to specific labor transactions. Fortunately, they are a separate plant so it's relatively easy to isolate their transactions.
>
> I finally got an RDD copy of this report linked to Labor Detail - I've been working on it off and on - it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped, as least as far as identifying the specific Job Operation where the scrap event occured.
>
> Anyway - you might check with your Accounting group and see how they handle the postings to your variance accounts.
>
> Good luck!
> Laraine
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <psmith@> wrote:
> >
> > Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> > Paul Smith
> > Inventory Management
> > 233 Ballston Ave
> > Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
> > 518-245-4358
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> >
> >
> > The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
Laraine

Thank you for your input. It seems to me that using the labor entry screen to scrap material/assemblies is not the best method. We, as a company, are pushing very hard to learn and utilize Vantage the way it was designed. I believe using the non-conformance/inspection processing/DMR processing is the best way to scrap an assembly off the job, is that a fair statement? Again thank you.

The short answer is nothing happens when you report scrap in labor entry. Basically, it's material variance just like any other material variance you might have on the job. For better or worse, Epicor leaves this up to you what you want to do with the information.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "laraines422" <laraines422@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> We're on 8, so I can't tell if this will help or not.
>
> Our Machine Shop wants to be able to relate the scrap transactions as shown on the Inventory WIP Report (MFG-VAR) to specific labor transactions. Fortunately, they are a separate plant so it's relatively easy to isolate their transactions.
>
> I finally got an RDD copy of this report linked to Labor Detail - I've been working on it off and on - it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped, as least as far as identifying the specific Job Operation where the scrap event occured.
>
> Anyway - you might check with your Accounting group and see how they handle the postings to your variance accounts.
>
> Good luck!
> Laraine
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Smith <psmith@> wrote:
> >
> > Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> > Paul Smith
> > Inventory Management
> > 233 Ballston Ave
> > Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
> > 518-245-4358
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> >
> >
> > The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
If you want to relieve those costs from the Job then the non-conformance/inspection processing/DMR is the way to go. You can then assign an account to the Failed reason code that contains scrap costs. Epicor could make it easier by giving us a method of allowing the std scrap method to go to an account without all the 'extras' involved with the DMR process.

It's really a business decision on how you want to account for it. We use the scrap in MES but want our scrap to be reflected in the margin by customer. We also don't want variances (one big scrap bucket). To do this we change the production quantity to match the completed quantity prior to the MFG-STK trans. All costs (including the scrap variance) are then applied to the parts.

You can account for the rework cost by logging hours as rework and creating a custom report. You can also record the additional material by checking the "Added Material" box and create another custom report.

Chris

>
> Laraine
>
> Thank you for your input. It seems to me that using the labor entry screen to scrap material/assemblies is not the best method. We, as a company, are pushing very hard to learn and utilize Vantage the way it was designed. I believe using the non-conformance/inspection processing/DMR processing is the best way to scrap an assembly off the job, is that a fair statement? Again thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The short answer is nothing happens when you report scrap in labor entry. Basically, it's material variance just like any other material variance you might have on the job. For better or worse, Epicor leaves this up to you what you want to do with the information.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "laraines422" <laraines422@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > We're on 8, so I can't tell if this will help or not.
> >
> > Our Machine Shop wants to be able to relate the scrap transactions as shown on the Inventory WIP Report (MFG-VAR) to specific labor transactions. Fortunately, they are a separate plant so it's relatively easy to isolate their transactions.
> >
> > I finally got an RDD copy of this report linked to Labor Detail - I've been working on it off and on - it's not as straight-forward as I had hoped, as least as far as identifying the specific Job Operation where the scrap event occured.
> >
> > Anyway - you might check with your Accounting group and see how they handle the postings to your variance accounts.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > Laraine
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Smith <psmith@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Using vantage 6 what happens when you scrap within labor entry? I see if I do a non-conf it goes to the QC module. But if I scrap an item I see no transactions. Where is the cost and the part going? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > > Paul Smith
> > > Inventory Management
> > > 233 Ballston Ave
> > > Saratoga Springs NY, 12866
> > > 518-245-4358
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > >
> > >
> > > The information contained in this message is intended solely for the individual it is specifically and originally addressed. This message and its contents may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure or distribution, or taking any action in reliance on the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from any computer and notify the sender. If you suspect that this message may have been altered, please notify the sender.
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>