Scrap counts as "completed quantity"?

Hello,

Does a scrapped quantity count against the completed quantity on a job? In Operation 50, I completed 70/72, and I scrapped 2/72. Epicor then allowed me to report 72/72 on Operation 60.

Is there a setting that would prevent us from reporting a quantity higher than the reported quantity on the preceding operation?

You would have to do a customization to achieve that functionality.

The reason why Epicor works this way is because there is nothing stopping you from issuing more material to the job so that you can make up the 2 pieces that were scrapped. This way, companies with different processes can use the system as they see fit.

I see.

Is there a way we can allow a subsequent operation to begin prior to the preceding operation being completed? The classic example for us would be sending some of our formed parts to the welding department before all formed parts are done.

You will want to use the Start to Start option on the subsequent operation on the job.

You will also want to use the send ahead type and offset.

In Operation Maintenance check out this field:

1 Like

This topic is suitable for my question: a similar case where the product is scrapped after the first operation which also has materials in the operation. But the materials are not deducted as scrap if the product is scrapped. That creates a situation where in order to meet the production quantity no more new material demand is required and purchase suggestions are not generated. It feels rather stupid, but there must be a way around it with settings. Desired would be if a product is scrapped then also materials used in operation are scrapped with it and new demand is created for purchasing.

Materials are intended to be consumed by an operation VIA issuing that material.

If you want material issued automatically you would need to backflush.

This is understandable, but if a product is scrapped in an operation then the materials used are not scrapped. In our production, it is impossible to salvage material and use it to assemble another one. Of course, issue material is the transaction, but if scrapping does not take materials away from issued materials and request new then there will not be any new material demand = ordered. Is this really a standard solution in Epicor?

I get what you are saying now, I think. The material requirement on the job doesn’t automatically change based on how much good/bad quantity is reported, so new demand for the material is not automatically generated.

The only way to achieve this systematically, that I am aware of, is the ‘Production Yield Recalculation’ process. This will adjust the jobs production quantity automatically based on the ‘good’ quantity reported by your operators in MES.

We do not use this, but theoretically:

1. Your operator reports a quantity less than what the job was asking for, production quantity is auto-adjusted down to the quantity reported.

2. You issue the material accurately for the job.

3. MRP generates new job for the balance not satisfied by the first job.

4. This generates new demand for the materials.

–

Again, we do not use this. Giving our operators the power to adjust prod quantities on jobs just by entering data into MES is not something we are comfortable with, yet. When we have this situation arise someone adjusts the prod quantity on the job manually.

1 Like

Your comments are very common. But what is a “standard” solution? Each company is different and handles fall out differently. I can tell you that there is someone on this forum who disagrees with what you think the system should do. Epicor tries (and admittedly fails in some areas) to keep their system general enough so a broad set of companies can utilize it. Epicor has built their system to allow EVERY customer to figure out their own processes and provide tools to support whatever the customer wants to do. Instead of looking for the system to do what you want, you should be looking at how you want your processes to work and how Epicor can support them.

You are correct. It just weird that scrapped product does not scrap components with the operation.