Scheduling - So Many Steps!

I am trying to get an idea of when I should be running specific scheduling processes. What events trigger the need to rerun these processes? Are there other important events that should trigger a process I didn’t ask about?

1. When should I run Calculate Global Scheduling Order?
  2. When should I run Generate Shop Capacity?
  3. When should I run Global Scheduling?

EDIT:
And what about those secret Conversion Workbench processes?

1. When should I run anything on this list?
    In the past I have had to run one or more of these processes to get my Global Scheduling to work.

Background:
We do not allow scheduling in the past. We mostly backward schedule from the due date. But sometimes we choose specific jobs to forward schedule. Our ops are set to Finish to Start. Finite horizon 365 days. Generating Shop Capacity for 365 days. We don’t have MRP.

Thank you for your time!
Nate

I will speak about steps 1 and 3…

1. Global scheduling in a FINITE world that also doesn’t allow anything to be scheduled in the past NEEDS to be run EVERY DAY. Otherwise, any work that was originally scheduled for yesterday, but didnt finish yesterday is now in the past, and will need to be done TODAY instead… this will result in pushing out any work that WAS supposed to be done today till tomorrow (unless you have open capacity).
  2. Calculate Scheduling order is a process that helps define WHICH JOBS get scheduled first… the first jobs that are scheduled get to consume the resources first (they are first in line). so you could have a job that isn’t needed for 3 months, but you forward schedule it today, and as a result it consumes finite capacity today that it really doesn’t need. In short, what the calculation process is supposed to do is to resequence which jobs are the most past due and/or most critical, and puts the worst cases at the front of the line for scheduling purposes. I would say that this doesn’t need to be run daily, but should be run periodically BEFORE you run the global scheduling process.
  3. shop capacity only needs to be run when you change calendars, or change the number of resources… so it is not as critical, but it should be run before doing global scheduling.
5 Likes

Thank you Tim! This is very helpful! Up until now, no one has mentioned that we would NEED to run global scheduling every day. It seems like we have a lot of older jobs that were due in the past, and are creating a lot of past due load. I think once we finish out those jobs, then calculating global scheduling order will be less important.

Some other things I can think of that might impact the schedule. Do I need to recalculate and then reschedule after these events?

1. Engineering releases a new job. This gets added to the schedule. I think the schedseq = 0 until I calculate.
  2. We lose demand for parts we were already making. Pushing this job to low priority or even closing it out.
  3. We gain a new machine, thus increasing capacity for a particular resource group. Here I am sure I need to regen shop capacity, but I don’t think I need to calculate the scheduling order. Do I need to global schedule after I gen shop capacity?
    Thanks again for your patience! I am sure others are learning from this experience as well.