RMA with serialized products and rework

Just in case some poor soul is pulling their hair out over this issue like I was I'll share my (at least partial) solution. As our RMAs come back serialized and can be many different products that require individual repair it, I finally found the best way to do this is by starting as a quote. Who and how will make the quote I haven't figured out yet (partial solution!) but if we make a quote for each individual piece the RMA techs can select the parts they will use for rework for each line and when they are finished, the quote goes to sales order, order job wizard, enter labor (for each individual job, still a pain-why can't multiple parts be on one job??) and backflush the parts. This is a lot easier than the tech having to keep up with a bunch of jobs. It's a pretty obvious solution (why didn't support suggest this?..*sigh*) but to someone who's new to Epicor like I am this could take some time to figure out. I still hold that RMA Disposition is dysfunctional as you should be able to basically generate a quote directly from there (how can you disposition to a job that doesn't exist yet), or be able to create an ad hoc job and then make a sales order from that. Well, when I start figuring out how to customize things I suppose I will take a shot at pulling the lines of an RMA receipt and dropping them into a quote.

A side note, the Yahoo groups web interface search refused to find this thread completely. I had to look in my email for the date and scroll back manually. Makes me wonder what other messages don't come up in search, which is a shame because it's a great source of info.

Ramsey

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "alldoneprojects" <ramsey@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have seen various threads about processing RMAs with rework and serialized parts but no real good answers to how to do it efficiently (w/ 8.3.407). The company's situation is that serialized parts are returned by customers and repaired and then the same part is shipped back out to them. We don't have Field Service but I don't think this would help much but we also don't have the Shop Floor which probably would. It seems that overall the RMA process is good for returning goods, issuing a credit and then shipping out a new one but little else.
>
> So the whole process is something like: Assign RMA-Receive RMA-Process RMA-Disposition RMA to Job (must notify order entry to create Sales Order first!)-Create job w/o details-Unengineer job, Add whatever parts you need to repair to the job-add some labor operations to the job-Engineer-Release job-pick from stock (maybe repeat last two steps)-Assign labor to job-Complete Job-AR closes job-ship to customer.
>
> This is a big ball of wax for the few people that are actually involved in this process. Of course this doesn't mention needing to keep serial numbers and costing straight and there are several pitfalls there.
>
> All in all it seems hopelessly complex. Anybody had to deal with this and come up with a better way? We also have help desk which seems to offer some hope of tying all these things together, but I haven't had much time to set it up yet.
>
> One idea I had is that maybe I can set up a part which is 'RMA REPAIR' and the sales order is always for this 'part' instead of having to exactly match the part/qty I'm repairing which would simplify things a bit. But not sure what costing and shipping ramifications are.
>
> So, any experiences, ideas, encouragement or sympathy is very welcome.
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ramsey Burnside
> ramsey@...
>
Hi,

I have seen various threads about processing RMAs with rework and serialized parts but no real good answers to how to do it efficiently (w/ 8.3.407). The company's situation is that serialized parts are returned by customers and repaired and then the same part is shipped back out to them. We don't have Field Service but I don't think this would help much but we also don't have the Shop Floor which probably would. It seems that overall the RMA process is good for returning goods, issuing a credit and then shipping out a new one but little else.

So the whole process is something like: Assign RMA-Receive RMA-Process RMA-Disposition RMA to Job (must notify order entry to create Sales Order first!)-Create job w/o details-Unengineer job, Add whatever parts you need to repair to the job-add some labor operations to the job-Engineer-Release job-pick from stock (maybe repeat last two steps)-Assign labor to job-Complete Job-AR closes job-ship to customer.

This is a big ball of wax for the few people that are actually involved in this process. Of course this doesn't mention needing to keep serial numbers and costing straight and there are several pitfalls there.

All in all it seems hopelessly complex. Anybody had to deal with this and come up with a better way? We also have help desk which seems to offer some hope of tying all these things together, but I haven't had much time to set it up yet.

One idea I had is that maybe I can set up a part which is 'RMA REPAIR' and the sales order is always for this 'part' instead of having to exactly match the part/qty I'm repairing which would simplify things a bit. But not sure what costing and shipping ramifications are.

So, any experiences, ideas, encouragement or sympathy is very welcome.

Cheers,

Ramsey Burnside
ramsey@...
I feel your pain to some extent. I am currently engaged in revamping
and streamlining that process for our company. We however do not deal
with serialized parts. Everything else you mentioned is fairly relevant
though. Ive already got a number of customizations and BPM's guiding
the RMA process. Our biggest issue to date has been with RMA's and
costing. Many times our customers don't want to deal with a credit memo
(just fix it and send it back), this presents some interesting issues.

Rob Bucek

Manufacturing Engineer

PH: 715-284-5376 ext 311

FAX: 715-284-4084

<http://www.dsmfg.com/>

(Click the logo to view our site)

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of alldoneprojects
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:14 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RMA with serialized products and rework

Hi,

I have seen various threads about processing RMAs with rework and
serialized parts but no real good answers to how to do it efficiently
(w/ 8.3.407). The company's situation is that serialized parts are
returned by customers and repaired and then the same part is shipped
back out to them. We don't have Field Service but I don't think this
would help much but we also don't have the Shop Floor which probably
would. It seems that overall the RMA process is good for returning
goods, issuing a credit and then shipping out a new one but little else.

So the whole process is something like: Assign RMA-Receive RMA-Process
RMA-Disposition RMA to Job (must notify order entry to create Sales
Order first!)-Create job w/o details-Unengineer job, Add whatever parts
you need to repair to the job-add some labor operations to the
job-Engineer-Release job-pick from stock (maybe repeat last two
steps)-Assign labor to job-Complete Job-AR closes job-ship to customer.

This is a big ball of wax for the few people that are actually involved
in this process. Of course this doesn't mention needing to keep serial
numbers and costing straight and there are several pitfalls there.

All in all it seems hopelessly complex. Anybody had to deal with this
and come up with a better way? We also have help desk which seems to
offer some hope of tying all these things together, but I haven't had
much time to set it up yet.

One idea I had is that maybe I can set up a part which is 'RMA REPAIR'
and the sales order is always for this 'part' instead of having to
exactly match the part/qty I'm repairing which would simplify things a
bit. But not sure what costing and shipping ramifications are.

So, any experiences, ideas, encouragement or sympathy is very welcome.

Cheers,

Ramsey Burnside
ramsey@... <mailto:ramsey%40alldonecomputers.com>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]