Recepts where bill does not match PO costs

When an invoice comes in and the cost does not match the price on the PO, is there a way to fix this without deleting the receipt, fixing the PO, and re receiving?

Why would you want to fix the PO? You want to know what is planned vs. what is actual, don’t you?

If the PO was a $0 then I would create a BPM that does not allow the receipt until the PO is fixed. I had to do that when all of the subcontract Pos were getting generated at $0. I almost put a BPM on the PO limes but there was a business case for creating the $0 PO’s until the pricing could be established. When the pricing was received, they were supposed to fix the PO so I did the receipt block and that solved my business problem.

Charlie

3 Likes

sorry, they now are telling me that what they meant was that the qty is more than the PO or the price is 0, i will go ahead and set up a BPM for the $0 ones, thank you for that suggestion, probably do the same for trying to receive more than ordered. not sure why we would get more than we ordered, but apparently it happens and they just receive more against the po and then Finance has to fix it.

Our AP dept isn’t allowed to enter an invoice that doesn’t match the PO. 99% of the time the problem originates when the buyer doesn’t enter the correct price on the PO.

1 Like

Calvin, sounds like somebody has to slap the buyer upside the head (figuratively).

In case people are not aware:

If the qty received does not match the PO, you can catch it at the time of the receipt with a BPM that does allow an override. “Are you sure? Yes No”

If the price doesn’t match, you have an issue where you have to back out the receipt, reopen the PO/PO Line/PO Release, correct the PO, Reenter the receipt and then you can enter the invoice. PITA.

ELSE enter the invoice and deal with the PPV (Purchase Price Variance) transaction.

Even as an accounting person, I would rather handle the PPV then hold up the AP process.

Charlie

There is a company config setting to allow a receipt price update without backing out the receipt. I don’t think it updates the PO though.

Brad

However, how is the receiving person going to know what the price is? Unless the invoice is arriving with the product or the price is on the packing slip, the person entering the receipt would not have an ides what the price is. I always told people to process the invoice unless the qty didn’t match and then deal with it later.

Charlie

In our previous Vantage 6.1 days we had a process where stores would raise any price variances with purchasing to update the PO before receipt. We also insist that suppliers send invoices with goods.

Now with E10 stores can enter a price update on receipt (with a tolerance) and this will come through as PPV I believe.

Any PPV over a certain value must then be signed off by a manager when the invoice is processed by accounts.

FWIW - we also had issues with the price on the PO being in the wrong units. So the cost adjustment that happens during receipt would be way out of wack.

And if AP entered and posted the invoice, it would make reversing the receipt and fixing the PO impossible.

So a “Slap Buyer” BPm widget is a feature I’d like to see added :slight_smile:

1 Like

New user, first post, so please feel free to tell me if I am posting incorrectly or if this belongs elsewhere.

Specifically regarding receipts and invoices, if we ordered 500 yds, and received 503 yds, then are invoiced for 503 yds, will AP encounter any issues? In DF even though the receipt and invoice matched, the PO and receipt did not, so we would have to do a change order to the PO.

Also, is there an area that we can attache receipt tolerances to, you know plus or minus 5% or something along those lines? I checked both supplier records and part record fields and cannot find what i am looking for.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Kim

As far as I know it is only the supplier price you can set a tolerance on in the company config.

1 Like

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.