RDD's and Added tables

Is the following correct?

• When adding a DB table to an RDD, the reporting process will make a temp table (TableName_GUID) in the report DB.

• The temp table will be a subset of records from the original DB table, based on any relations and/or criteria defined in the RDD. Adding the relationships and/or criteria just reduces the set of records to be in the new temp table. However, if it is a Defined relationship (think inner join), it could reduce the data the original RDD would have created.

• The columns of the temp table are determined by the Exclusions selected in the RDD.

So if I add a table to an RDD and set no relationships to other tables/sources, the temp table created will contain all the records in the table in the DB.

Since there can’t be two tables with the same name in the report DB, you cannot add a table with the same name as on already in the RDD, assuming the RDD creates a temp table for that table that was part of the original RDD. But if an RDD creates combined temp tables (a temp table from a combination of source tables), then an added table name shouldn’t conflict with the temp tables the base RDD creates.

For example, the RDL for the Aged Receivables report has 4 datasets with data sources as follows:

1. ARDTLS, whose query references:
    a. ARPrnt_GUID
    b. Company_GUID
    c. RlsHead_GUID
    d. ARDtls_GUID

2. Company, with tables:
    a. Company_GUID

3. RptLabels, with table:
    a. RptLabels_GUID

4. RptParameter, with tables:
    a. RptParameter_GUID

If I add table Country to the RDD, the temp table Country_GUID would be created, and could be added to the query expression of any of the above datasets in the RDL, or even create a new dataset for it.

That all correct?

That sounds correct. We have added tables to RDDs and then modified the RDL file to utilize them. CustCnt has been added to a few of the existing RDDs, and we just have to modify the existing datasets to include data from it. (multiple UD Email addresses in our case)

Correct

I think you are saying that adding the Table is enough to generate the data and that adding a relationship only limits the records in the table, correct? If that is what you are asking then it is incorrect. Adding a Table to an RDD without adding a relationship just adds the table empty.

Correct

Incorrect, it will hold no records.

2 Likes

That rings a bell. I think in order to get the whole table into the temp table, I had to make a basic relation (like Company=Company).

Sounds correct.