Purchased V. Manufactured Parts

We have some hydraulic kits that we purchase from a supplier, but also manufacture when the demand is needed. What is the best way to get the correct part on each job? The standard part that is on the BOM would be the purchased part but sometimes will need to be switched to the manufactured part. Alternate method? Completely different part number that is Kanbanned in and issued? Anything else anyone has done? Keep in mind we need the process to pull the correct materials and costing whenever it is used as the manufacture part.

I’ve looked at this for other sites that routinely switch between “making” and “buying” their materials depending on their schedule.

As far as I know, there are a couple options - both involving active intervention by mfg/eng.

a.) Maintaining two part numbers - and reworking your method(s) if needed.

b.) Or you can switch the parts type - so that any new supply will use whatever the current type is.
i.e. if a type “P” part, buy it - the part can still have methods, but they will be ignored.
when the part is switched to “M” those methods will take effect.

We had a similar issue like this at a place I worked before. You would have to change the part master but that can cause all sorts of issues if you run MRP. I think the best way is to have 2 different part numbers. I am sure the part you order is different from the supplier or if not that part number may not match the way you number you parts.

We simply have manufactured parts, but sometimes we buy them. There’s nothing stopping you purchasing a product marked as manufactured. The only possible problem is if you rely very strictly on MRP, in which case its advice may conflict with your other requirements.

2 Likes

So true it can really mess with demand

To judge by where I work, the kind of company culture that leads to questions about this kind of flexibility isn’t a good fit for MRP. Ours isn’t. If my assumption is wrong about that then back to your suggestion of separate part numbers!

1 Like