PO Suggestions and Purchase Planning

Thanks Robert

I will have a discussion with the controller to see if we can indeed create a job right away and maybe just not mark the job as released and use the PO suggestions do the work.
Will keep you posted on any advancement.

Ephraim Feldman

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:09:55
To: <vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Vantage] PO Suggestions and Purchase Planning

My 1st question would be: If the quote is so readily converted into a sales order once won (and perhaps I've misunderstood this point and there is some appreciable delay), what factors are contributing to an appreciable delay in getting supporting job(s) in place (that would then allow you to do planning and fulfillment as the system intends)?

I ask only because, in my experience, it is better to work on process improvement (that is rarely systemic in origin - more often "we've always done it this way" company culture based issues, 'silo' departmental behavior, or just simple resistance to change that drives a desire for computer based magic bullets) that will truly reap long term sustained value versus developing 'another (systemic) way' to effectively band aid and mask the true root causes. Developing more than one way for your materials group to do their jobs (for what is at it's core - all one thing fulfill your customers orders quickly, defect free & profitably) increases the likelihood of confusion and less than desireable or reliable/repeatable results over the long haul.

Off the soap box now: You know your business (and I certainly don't) and let's say 'another (systemic) way' to get a jump on material planning for order fulfillment IS indeed long term value added and justified (and not just an avoidance bandaid).

Consider what you describe (a Crystal report culling the won quote data) but forego Crystal and instead write yourself the equivalent BAQ(s) which can then be rolled into a dashboard (or dashboards) that can act as Advanced Searches where you can then use it to drive the appropriate Vantage applications (such as job entry, PO processing, warehouse activities - heck: even engineering activities to hasten getting everything needed in place for the ultimately required jobs at a faster, more organized, controlled & reliable pace).

I may be way off base as we've found that sometimes trying to do everything (truly integrated) within Vantage proves not to be as effective as a simple crystal, excel or SQL query driven web report that smart, knowledgeable employees can act on.

I'd at least take a few minutes honestly considering it though to see if (perhaps even if only in the long term) it might be worth the development attempt (development of both the system tools, the overall future state process vision, and people's willingness to contribute, risk change & get there).

Best wishes.

Rob Brown
Versa Products

Â

Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 4:16:58 PM
Subject: [Vantage] PO Suggestions and Purchase Planning

Â
Hi all

I would appreciate any help on the following subject.

the way our company opperates is by giving quotes to customers on items we manufacture and we use the configurator on Quote entry to customise the part and then pull the material based on the configuration.

When a quote is won we convert the quote into an order but it is still not released for production for a while till we get a approval from the costumer.

Now once we won the quote we know we will be doing the job (maybe some small design changes) so we would like to prepare and have the material ready in warehouse.

So basically our warehouse planning is based on the quotes that we have won. Now there is no report that can give me purchasing info based on this.

The PO suggestion program works on Jobs and since we have n o jobs yet it will not work for us.

DOes anyone ahave a idea how to work this? or is anyone in a similar situation?

I was thinking of creating a crystal report to get all material needed based on Quotes that are converted into a salesorder and the salesorder is open. maybe someone has a template for such report?
Obviously i wont be able to creat e automatically a PO from the system like with the PO suggestion but still some info i get.

Thanks all in advance

Ephraim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Hi all

the way our company opperates is by giving quotes to customers on items we manufacture and we use the configurator on Quote entry to customise the part and then pull the material based on the configuration.

When a quote is won we convert the quote into an order but it is still not released for production for a while till we get a approval from the costumer.

Now once we won the quote we know we will be doing the job (maybe some small design changes) so we would like to prepare and have the material ready in warehouse.

So basically our warehouse planning is based on the quotes that we have won. Now there is no report that can give me purchasing info based on this.

The PO suggestion program works on Jobs and since we have n o jobs yet it will not work for us.

I was thinking of creating a crystal report to get all material needed based on Quotes that are converted into a salesorder and the salesorder is open. maybe someone has a template for such report?
Obviously i wont be able to creat e automatically a PO from the system like with the PO suggestion but still some info i get.

Thanks all in advance

Ephraim
My 1st question would be: If the quote is so readily converted into a sales order once won (and perhaps I've misunderstood this point and there is some appreciable delay), what factors are contributing to an appreciable delay in getting supporting job(s) in place (that would then allow you to do planning and fulfillment as the system intends)?

I ask only because, in my experience, it is better to work on process improvement (that is rarely systemic in origin - more often "we've always done it this way" company culture based issues, 'silo' departmental behavior, or just simple resistance to change that drives a desire for computer based magic bullets) that will truly reap long term sustained value versus developing 'another (systemic) way' to effectively band aid and mask the true root causes. Developing more than one way for your materials group to do their jobs (for what is at it's core - all one thing fulfill your customers orders quickly, defect free & profitably) increases the likelihood of confusion and less than desireable or reliable/repeatable results over the long haul.

Off the soap box now: You know your business (and I certainly don't) and let's say 'another (systemic) way' to get a jump on material planning for order fulfillment IS indeed long term value added and justified (and not just an avoidance bandaid).

Consider what you describe (a Crystal report culling the won quote data) but forego Crystal and instead write yourself the equivalent BAQ(s) which can then be rolled into a dashboard (or dashboards) that can act as Advanced Searches where you can then use it to drive the appropriate Vantage applications (such as job entry, PO processing, warehouse activities - heck: even engineering activities to hasten getting everything needed in place for the ultimately required jobs at a faster, more organized, controlled & reliable pace).

I may be way off base as we've found that sometimes trying to do everything (truly integrated) within Vantage proves not to be as effective as a simple crystal, excel or SQL query driven web report that smart, knowledgeable employees can act on.

I'd at least take a few minutes honestly considering it though to see if (perhaps even if only in the long term) it might be worth the development attempt (development of both the system tools, the overall future state process vision, and people's willingness to contribute, risk change & get there).

Best wishes.

Rob Brown
Versa Products

Â

Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 4:16:58 PM
Subject: [Vantage] PO Suggestions and Purchase Planning

Â
Hi all

Thanks all in advance

Ephraim