PO Entry: Release is closed Business Logic Error Message

In Purchase Order Entry:

Put in a PO Number and hit tab
On left side of screen (PO tree), expand “Lines”
On right side of screen click the Lines Tab so we can see the selected line’s info
On left side of screen, click a line in the list (all is still ok at this point)
On left side of screen, click a different line

At this point, I get a Business Logic Error message box saying “Release is closed”
clicking the details button it says there is an exception in Epicor.ServiceModel
Method: PoRelBeforeUpdate.

I don’t want to change anything I just want to view the line’s info. What is the issue in this case?

Sounds like a bad BPM on PoRelBeforeUpdate

Do you get the same when you use PO Tracker?

• No, the PO Tracker doesn’t have the issue.

Is the PoRelBeforeUpdate something from Epicor or would that be some custom internally written Method BPM? A quick search for it earlier in the day found nothing.

• Can you help point me to where it might be located?

First see if the form is customized, and if it is try running it without the customization.

1. Enable developer mode - If you don’t know how to do that, the rest of the steps might not make sense.
  2. Launch PO Entry
  3. In the “Select Customization” window, put a check in the “Base Only” checkbox ,and click Okay.

The PO Entry window (without any customizations) should appear. See if the problem still exists. If it does, then its a BPM.

To disable the BPM,

1. Launch Method Directives Maint
  2. Click the Method Code button to search for the BPM.
  3. In the Method Search window, select Search by Directives, Group (), and click search
  4. In the method column look for one containing PoRelBeforeUpdate. select it and click ok
  5. In the Method directives window, expand all the tree branches and go to each method and disable it (clear the Enabled checkbox)
  6. Save the Method, and see if the problem still persists

Ok, it looks like the original error meant that there is a customization in that form that is trying to update the database even though the release is closed. And the BPM that was firing must be an Epicor BPM that through that message. I corrected that legacy code and it seems fine now.

Thanks

1 Like