PO Entry/Receipt Entry Inspection Required Disabled

Does anyone else find annoying that the Inspection Required checkbox field is Disabled if the value is enabled in Purchase Order Entry in 10.2.500?
I’m not sure when but at some point in previous versions the Buyer could override the Inspection Requirement from PO Entry, which in some cases was very helpful. In more recent versions that is no longer an option. I can’t seem to affect the value through Directives either.
Defaulting the value from Part Class, Vendor, etc is fine but not being able to disable it for exceptions is very confusing for Receiving, QA and Material Handlers.
I have requested an enhancement request to add configurations for how the Inspection Required field behaves but I wanted to float this to the group for any feedback.
Please note, I have been working with Epicor QA since Vantage 8.03, so I understand how it works very well.
Thanks

Hi Rick_Bird,

Did you have any feed back on your request?

From this forum? No. But I have frequently seen questions and frustration with how the Inspection Required functionality works and how it cannot be overridden per PO.
But Epicor did put in Enhancement Request PRB0220797 which as of today does not look like it has been reviewed by Development yet.

Thank you for your response.

I am pretty good in Epicor, but pretty lousy with the forums and the EpicCare. My search in EpicCare for PRB0220797 is coming up empty. Where should I be looking to find more info? Thank you.

I went as far as I could on the code base and it seems this restriction was added in Vantage 8, around 2005. Couldn’t find any specific business reason, wanted to dig up some information but came up empty.

1 Like

That is strange, it was there, and it’s still linked to my case… it looks like it was deleted.
I have copied the source case and I am asking about what happened to my Enhancement Request.

So this time I rec’d a response to the enhancement request. Here is what they are saying, no business case explaination for this:

I’ve looked into PRB0220797 status and Development’s response on the Enhancement sent was that in order to preserve data integrity of the system, purchasing agents are not allowed to change or decide if a part is going to be inspected when set at the Part Class or Vendor Level. If this this not desired, then the recommendation should be that a customization should be in place to do this.

As usual, easier said than done. I wonder what would be an appropriate method for the appropriate parties to maintain if a specific PO line should be inspection required or not?

Or our case where by we want a specific release inspected. E.g. we purchased goods from the far east. We send the order to our supplier. 2000 units for a production date y. We want to air freight 5 units for initial inspection. So two releases based on landed costs etc. So we want to inspect the 5 ie release 1 but dont want to inspect in epicor the 1950 which will be shipped by sea. Now there is a deeper discussion why we do this at all but there the less, if you deal with containers you need the ability to flag on a per release basis and by someone who isnt the buyer

1 Like

That’s a good one.
However, this brought to mind a nice Epicor QA Feature that is apparently not known well.
I often times am asked how to control inspection requirement by Part\Supplier instead of Just by Supplier or by Part Class. This can be done on a per basis part by creating a Revision for the part (no MOM required) and then under the Revision tab create a ‘Supplier’ Inspection and specify the Supplier. To inspect all receipts from that Supplier just check the box at the bottom of the form that says ‘Force Inspect All Receipts’
You can also setup Skip Lots per Supplier (Lot Tracking not required) as well.

1 Like

We set inspection required at the part level since Part Class didn’t work for us. I have to have a bpm to copy it from the part, but since Part Class is not in the mix I can change on the PO as needed. I just did a test in 10.2.500.15 and setting at the Part Class level does disable the checkbox.

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Can you please explain more on the BPM you created for disabling the Inspection required Checkbox in the PO?
We have part class setup.

Thanks
Subha

@subha I have a data directive on an added row that copies the setting true or false to the PODetail.

1 Like

Thanks Greg, I did the same, it worked.

1 Like

BTW - there are several ideas on the Epicor Idea’s site regarding Inspections functionality, check them out and give them a vote:

Inspection Required Cannot Be Overridden | Kinetic Ideas (aha.io)

Allow Inspection Processing of Non-Stock and/or | Kinetic Ideas (aha.io)

https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ERP-I-50

https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ERP-I-165

Also search for ‘Inspection’ if you don’t see what you are looking for.

1 Like