Phantom BOMs or some other way?

We order materials from a supplier where we order a system or a kit, then when we get in in plant we break out the materials in the kit into separate parts. These parts are then used on multiple jobs which build up our product. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Let me explain this a bit more.

We buy KitA from our supplier. When KitA is received, we physically receive KitA in Epicor against the PO so we can get the cost into the project purchasing the kit. When the kit comes in our back door, it is taken out of the box and broken into individual elements (computers, wires, monitors, etc) which are separate parts in Epicor. These individual parts are put on jobs so we need a way to identify that partA from KitA was received and can be allocated to a job using partA. We cannot put the parts into stock because we need to keep the parts with the projects they are purchased for and moving to stock loses that visibility.

I was thinking about a Phantom BOM but the parts can be allocated to multiple jobs individually not as a whole BOM. I have thought about putting the individual parts onto the same PO as the kit but with 0 dollar value. That way we could receive the individual parts via mass receipt and they would properly be assigned to the project. We also may not know all of the parts when the kit is ordered so the parts may have to be added in once we break the kit apart.

Any ideas of the best way to do this? I will be creating whatever forms, BAQs, BPMs necessary so doing customizations doesn’t scare me too much.

There are two Epicor Ideas for this:

Ability to disassemble a finished part to put | Epicor Kinetic Ideas

Disassembly finished goods into materials | Epicor Kinetic Ideas

Maybe these should be combined @timshuwy?

This is also relevant:
Support Purchasing Kits | Epicor Kinetic Ideas

1 Like

Here are my thoughts, Jeanne…

Receive in Kit Part to a co-part job with an operation of Disassemble. The coparts that come out of that job should be set up on the disassemble job with demand links as make to job to the next job that needs them as a material

Does this make sense??.

1 Like

Note that the Purchased Kit idea has been promoted to an “Epic” which is currently in discussions for 2024.1 as a “Candidate” for that release. It might not make it since there are literally 100s of candidates, and this one only has 17 votes (Epicor Kinetic Ideas )…

1 Like

Thanks mark… Yes, they are now merged, and combined, the first one in your list (the newest) has 24 votes.

1 Like

We are not planning to move to Kinetic for a bit due to our customizations so Kinetic won’t help me now.

We do not have the module that allows Co-Parts so that isn’t an option either.

Any other ideas?