Phantom BOMs & Operations

Hi all,

We have a main assembly that incorporates a Phantom assembly consisting of an operation and materials. When we created a Job for the main assembly, the Phantom P/N disappeared in the materials list leaving the components, but the operation used in the Phantom assembly was pulled. Is there any way so that the operation for the Phantom assembly doesn’t appear? Phantom BOM is checked off in both the Part Detail and Site levels.

In this case, A1T1 is the operation in the Phantom assembly method.

If you dont want any ops to come over from the phantom part, In your phantom part, dont put any Operations in the MOM.

2 Likes

If you need that op you could just make it backflush but I’m with Craig.

Hello, I’m new to E10 and we would like to use Phantom Assemblies, how do you set these up?

This is one of the distinctive ways that Epicor ERP behaves with Phantoms. In some other ERP Systems, the phantom only included the materials, but in Epicor, the phantom always includes both the materials and the labor. This actually works very well in situations where you have a sub-assembly that you no longer want to build separately, BUT it can cause problems if you are converting from a system that “dropped” the operations when you changed the part to a phantom.
Recommendation, examine all your phantom assemblies, and make sure that the labor you have is not duplicated in the upper level assembly. AND/OR, you can delete the operations from the phantoms, OR simply change the labor hours to zero leaving the instructions (and mark the labor as Backflushed).

1 Like

So I have been playing with Phantom BOM’s and they seem to work well for what we want to do. We have a standard product that we build and sell to our customers with custom labeling (both on the part and product labels). We want to setup our standard part (that we could sell as our standard part number with our labeling so we decided to try creating a new part number with a “/PH” suffix but when we tried to create a job to build based on the part number the components on the phantom part would not blow through to the customer part number. We then tried using “-PH” and “_PH” as the suffix and both worked just fine so there must be problem with the software and the “/” character as part of a part number for a phantom BOM. Are you aware of this limitation? I have other part number in the system the use the “/” as part of the part number but they are not setup as a phantom and do not have anything on the BOM since they are service parts that get re-calibrated and do not require any components as part of the job unless something is broken in the device and we can add any components to the job BOM as needed.

trying to use “/” for anything on a computer other than urls is generally a bad idea. I would stay away from that, because you never know where it’s going to bite you. I would stick with a regular “-” if you can as that’s a well accepted character in part numbers.

2 Likes

I think we might go with the “_” as our part numbers already have a “-” and this might confuse things a bit!! Thanks for the feedback!

You’re not the first…

The thread includes a wonderful guide on Part Numbering: Part Numbering Standards

Really interested in this thread. Used phantoms a lot in the past, but not at my current gig.

Interested in why not indenting the bill of material would work if the operations on the phantom need to be performed. Seems like that would eliminate the need to do the phantom at all.

As far as part numbering goes, don’t use “_”. Bar code readers generally don’t handle that well.

2 Likes

Yup… underscore is one of the values that I mention in my Part Numbering Standards document… WHICH by the way, is undergoing a republication very soon with some new additions.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but we are trying to build the Phantom part number via DMT and we need to just DMT in the BOM and no operations since the operations would get added to the non phantom part number and all the operations already exist on the non phantom part number. Any help would be great!

Mike

correct. Phantom assemblies do NOT need any operations. There are TWO types of parts that do not need operations:

1. Phantom BOMs
  2. Sales Kit BOMs.

but anything that is a top-level BOM that needs manufacturing WILL need at least one operation. Phantoms, while manufactured, are included in their Parent, and the parent’s operation suffice. but again, if you DO have an operation in the phantom, then that(those) operation(s) will be included into the parent when the job is created.

I guess the bigger question is how can we DMT the BOM into E10 without an operation? I was told that this is not possible.

Mike

Shouldn’t be an issue. Just use the Bill of Materials DMT template. You may have to set the RelatedOp field to 0.

it is very possible to import with DMT. You will need to leave the “related operation” unassigned.

Thanks Zack, I will have our team give this a try.!

Mike R.

Thanks Tim, I will have our DMT guy give this a try.!

Mike R.

Tim, I had our guy try this and he said it would not work as you described, could there be a problem with the DMT for this version of E10?

Any details on issue(s) with DMT - in the log or maybe an error message?
Or what does your upload template look like?

Off the top of my head, when DMT’ing methods I remember needing to set up the ECO Group first.
Other than that, my DMT method uploads ran just like any other types.

Also, it’s been a long time since I played with phantoms, so I’m not sure about E10 but… I remember in previous versions being able to assign materials to operations in phantoms so that they would inherit existing operations in the parent assy. i.e. materials would merge in seamlessly with existing operations when a job was created. not add new operations?