New Reports - Best Practices

This is more of a discussion than it is a question, but I am curious:

What is considered the best practice for generating the data for a new report

• RDD
  • BAQ Report
  • Straight SQL Query to the Live DB in the RDL (in this case, how does one pass parameters to it from Epicor?)
  • Other

I am asking because I am in the process of creating a lot of new reports from scratch and want to be sure that I am following the ‘best practices’.

We use BAQ based RDD reports for our custom reports, unless it is a modification of the canned reports.

3 Likes

@Vinaykamboj - I thought I heard rumors about the BAQ Report system going away. Has that caused you to look down other avenues?

BAQ report and BAQ based RDD reports are different things and yes BAQ reports will probably go away. In BAQ report you can only have one BAQ.

In BAQ based RDD reports you can have as many BAQs as you want which can be modified as requirements change.

1 Like

+1 to this method.

I do believe BAQ reports have been deprecated. They are basically BAQ based RDD reports with just one BAQ so probably won’t totally go away. Existing ones would likely continue to work even if the BAQ Report Designer is totally removed but I’d really like to see them expand that to support “BAQ based RDD” reports instead as a one-stop-shop for all BAQ based reports.

*edit fix grammar

I have been calling the BAQ based RDD Reports “Dynamic Criteria” reports. (since that is the name of the dll that runs them".

I agree with @Vinaykamboj. The “Dynamic Criteria” reports are a little trickier to setup i.e. more steps that are NOT intuitive, however being able to use multiple BAQ’s is HUGE.

I keep hoping that Epicor will refine the setup some day - but after YEARS of trying to make one monolithic dataset work for every report - I welcome the Dynamic Criteria option.

DaveO