Multi AppServer Attachments

I am curious if there are any best practices when it comes to storing Attachments, APM Shared files and other Shared/Attachment Files, in a Multi Virtual and Multi AppServer Environment.

In addition how would you manage Windows Security for those Paths… By default most people store attachments in something like E:\EpicorData\Attachments - but I dont want anyone to just navigate to that shared path and most definitely not everyone should have access to directory list those paths example… E:\EpicorData\Attachments\InvcHead should only be available to those in the Financial Security Groups.

1 Like

I would suggest using sharepoint for attachments instead of standard file shares.

To handle different security settings for attachments create a different folder, and assign that to the Document Type - Base URL. Then all attachments of that document type will be stored in a different location entirely, with the appropriate security settings. This avoids maintaining security by the table it’s attached to, and shifts it to the “type” of attachment. For example most attachments to a customer record are visible to all, but if it’s a “financial statement” document type then it’s stored in a different location only visible to the finance dept.

2 Likes