MRP Suggestions for Cancel and Creating Unfirm

I am sure it is something I am missing in the way I am running or have something setup but I have a part that has a demand quantity of 13 pcs in January. I have 3 pcs in inventory a job for 15 pcs with a required by date of the same. This job + stock will fill demand requirements and put 5 pcs extra in stock. MRP suggestions are telling me to cancel this job because there are no requirements but it is suggesting an unfirm job for 10 pcs. Why would it have me cancel a released job that has operations complete that fills demand and open a new one. I have review settings and I can’t pinpoint what is driving this.

I would check a couple of things:

• Make sure the demand and supply are going through stock – it already sounds like it is
  • Check to see if the quantity or schedule on the job is locked. This would prevent Epicor from creating a Reduce/Expedite suggestion and I’ve seen it try to cancel an existing job and create a new one with the correct qty/dates.
  • Building off of the above: Does your part have a Receive Time set up? If the part is needed by 1/22 with a Receive Time of 1 day, then the producing job will need to be done by 1/21 to not be “late”.
  • Check to see if the part has a maximum stocking quantity. This would be the only reason I can think of that Epicor would try to avoid that overproduction. We consistently have jobs that overproduce because we need to finish steel coils, and Epicor has never told us to cancel and recreate a job for a lower quantity.

Lock your job quantity, and this will not occur.