MRP Creating Job w/o Part Demand?

I am more of a behind-the-scenes (BPM/Customization/etc.) person, not a “business process” person. I understand the basics of MRP, but not all of the underlying factors that come into play.

What is happening is that we keep seeing things like this in our system and I am trying to understand what may be causing it:

We have part(s) with no Min/Max On-Hand values, no In/Out Deltas, and no Min/Max Lot Sizes. I am told ‘we make them when we need them’.

One of these parts has an available quantity of 60,000 pieces with a demand of 50,000 (25,000 on 08/15 and 25,000 on 09/11) which will take our available quantity to 10,000 once that demand is filled.

Now MRP is suggesting a manufacture job for 15,000 pieces for 09/18/2023 when we would still have an available balance of 10,000 pieces. Why would it be suggesting that job? We didn’t go outside of any quantity thresholds, as there are none set in the system.

It looks like there’s a Job (WHL000000) that needs some. See if there is Job Material required for that part. Also, I always double check with the Site record to make sure the order modifiers match in the values shown in the Time Phase Inquiry.

Also check your Forecast Window. My guess is that the Forecast on 8/15 is not being consumed by the actual demand on 9/11.

My Forecast window is set to 15 Days Before and After for this specific Part.

The demand on 9/11 is certainly outside of that 15 days.

Do you have minimums set on Bins? That would not show up on the upper section.

I don’t recall seeing anything for Bin Minimums anywhere.

It could be your days of supply that’s causing it. You could do an experiment where you set that to 0 and see if the suggestion stops appearing.

What shows up when you check the box to Show Suggestions? I find that most times when someone in our organization thinks MRP is suggesting extra jobs, it’s because they’ve hidden the suggestions MRP created to reduce the existing supply.

3 Likes

Tyler - The results were the same with our without that checked.

Have you tried running reports refresh partbin QOH from PartTran and Refresh Part Quantities and Allocations? I’ve run into “phantom demand” because of something showing up in one of these reports and running the update resolves the issue. I would recommend running report first and filtered to the specific part number.