Monitor if E9 is running

One thing to check for people running an SQL version, it often has to do with the availability of the SQL DB.

Timing with a restart is important. Whenever possible you want to have 2 things being done.

1-      Reboot the SQL server first if it’s a separate server than the Epicor Application Server.

2-      If you are running MS Server 2008 then you should set the Admin Service for OpenEdge to be an “Automatic (Delayed Start)” which will allow for the SQL to start before the Admin service if on the same machine, and give you a little extra time for the SQL to start up on a different machine.

So in Joe’s case, if it was a total blackout for all systems, was the SQL Server and SQL service up and running prior to the Epicor Server coming up? I would guess no.

This can be automated as a backup option.

I think most people have the scripts to start and stop the Appservers in OpenEdge, if not, let me know I can send you a text version.

What you should do is setup a startup task in the Windows Task Scheduler which calls the .bat script to start up the Appservers, and then using the Advanced settings of the task scheduler, you can set it up to run a delay of 15 minutes, and have it repeat every 5 minutes for 15 minutes. This should have you covered for any kind of system reboot situation if there is a possible difference in boot times of the SQL and OpenEdge servers.

And no real problem with it trying to start them multiple times if they are already running, it will just skip over them and they’re harmless minimum resource intensive actions on a server.

Ned Cleary

Alternative Technology Solutions

http://alttechsolutions.com/

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:05 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Monitor if E9 is running

We were having the same problem as Joe and Amelie.  With our weekly server restart in the middle of Sunday night, the Appservers are shutdown about 1/2 hour prior to the scheduled reboot - and then the start of the Admin Service and the Appservers were set after the server restart.

Unfortunately, we could never count on the Appservers restarting with the server reboot - it would work some weeks and others it would not.  We had to add a second task to restart the Appservers at 1/2 hour after the scheduled reboot (specific time) - just so we knew that the Appservers restarted with one of the scheduled tasks.

Laraine

Hi All,

So we had a power outage last night and all the servers came up without issue but for some reason Epicor 9 did not start properly and no one could connect.
The Admin Service started but the DB and Appservers did not.
In the end, a quick reboot fixed the problem but I’m wondering if there is a way to monitor if Epicor is up and running and can accept client connections.
A monitoring app would be great and one that would send an email alert if it is down.

Worst case scenario, I can create one but I want to check if anything already exists first.

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191

addr: 37 Shuman Ave | Stoughton | Ma | 02072-3734
jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com
Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

[cid:d12e10.png@b060cffe.468d4adb]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Don’t think anything exists in the Epicor world… You should look into a battery backup that powers down your server when you have an outage…

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:53 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Monitor if E9 is running

Hi All,

So we had a power outage last night and all the servers came up without issue but for some reason Epicor 9 did not start properly and no one could connect.
In the end, a quick reboot fixed the problem but I’m wondering if there is a way to monitor if Epicor is up and running and can accept client connections.
A monitoring app would be great and one that would send an email alert if it is down.

Worst case scenario, I can create one but I want to check if anything already exists first.

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

We have that.
The physical server came back up without issue but Epicor 9 did not start up properly.

[cid:aef3f3.png@ce2bf47c.419f1f2c]

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:02 PM
Subject: [Vantage] RE: Monitor if E9 is running

Don’t think anything exists in the Epicor world… You should look into a battery backup that powers down your server when you have an outage…

Hi All,

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com>

We use WhatsUpGold to monitor everything. It was a little tricky to setup for Epicor. I had to create a simple windows service that calls an Epicor web service and write the status to the event log.

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>We have that.

The physical server came back up without issue but Epicor 9 did not start up properly.

Hi All,

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

I wrote a service that ran telnet every 15 minute if it got a response on the desired ports then nothing otherwise it fired off an email to me

Joshua Giese

CIO

Direct:     920.593.8299

IT Dept:   920.437.6400 Ext. 337

Site ID:    27450-E905700B2-SQL64

Wisconsin Converting, Inc.

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] RE: Monitor if E9 is running

We use WhatsUpGold to monitor everything. It was a little tricky to setup for Epicor. I had to create a simple windows service that calls an Epicor web service and write the status to the event log.

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We have that.

Hi All,

Were your appserver autostart? Because if not, that’s why they did not
start alone.

On my side, every time there is a down of the servers (they close alone for
example), the appserver go up, but it’s never working anyway. So I always
have to start them back. Moreover, I had to make the appservers restart
regularly with a little windows task. Because they were in comptetition
with backup plans...

*Amélie Pelletier*

*Analyste Programmeur / Program analyst*

[image: cid:image001.jpg@01CD5525.2091A820]

*230, Boulevard Nilus-Leclerc*

*L'Islet, Québec (Canada)*

*G0R 2C0*

*Téléphone: 418-247-3986 ext. 2390*

*Fax: 418-247-7925*

*amelie.pelletier@... <brigitte.savoie@...>*

*P* Est-ce nécessaire d’imprimer ce message?
*Please consider the environment before printing this email**.*

*De :* vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
*Envoyé :* 23 octobre 2014 16:53
*À :* vantage@yahoogroups.com
*Objet :* [Vantage] Monitor if E9 is running

Hi All,

So we had a power outage last night and all the servers came up without
issue but for some reason Epicor 9 did not start properly and no one could
connect.
In the end, a quick reboot fixed the problem but I’m wondering if there is
a way to monitor if Epicor is up and running and can accept client
connections.
A monitoring app would be great and one that would send an email alert if
it is down.

Worst case scenario, I can create one but I want to check if anything
already exists first.

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of the company.

Hi Scott,

Would you be able to share the code for the windows service you created?
I was thinking of something similar.

[cid:fa6fda.png@57625b51.46aa6adf]

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:20 PM

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

We have that.

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>]
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>]

Hi All,

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com>

Hi Joshua,

Would you be able to share your code for the service you wrote?
I was thinking of doing something similar.

[cid:b3f7b8.png@41a9b413.49a44340]

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:14 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] RE: Monitor if E9 is running

I wrote a service that ran telnet every 15 minute if it got a response on the desired ports then nothing otherwise it fired off an email to me

Joshua Giese
CIO

Direct: 920.593.8299
IT Dept: 920.437.6400 Ext. 337
Site ID: 27450-E905700B2-SQL64
Wisconsin Converting, Inc.

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:20 PM

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

We have that.

Hi All,

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com>

Hi Amélie

Everything is configured to autostart and usually it does without issue, if I were to manually reboot the server.
For some reason, it did not startup correctly this time.

[cid:2850b5.png@048dbbe1.4ebbd718]

Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 8:16 AM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Monitor if E9 is running

Were your appserver autostart? Because if not, that’s why they did not
start alone.

On my side, every time there is a down of the servers (they close alone for
example), the appserver go up, but it’s never working anyway. So I always
have to start them back. Moreover, I had to make the appservers restart
regularly with a little windows task. Because they were in comptetition
with backup plans...

*Amélie Pelletier*

*Analyste Programmeur / Program analyst*

[image: cid:image001.jpg@01CD5525.2091A820]

*230, Boulevard Nilus-Leclerc*

*L'Islet, Québec (Canada)*

*G0R 2C0*

*Téléphone: 418-247-3986 ext. 2390*

*Fax: 418-247-7925*

*amelie.pelletier@... <brigitte.savoie@...>*

*P* Est-ce nécessaire d’imprimer ce message?
*Please consider the environment before printing this email**.*

*De :* vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
*Envoyé :* 23 octobre 2014 16:53
*À :* vantage@yahoogroups.com
*Objet :* [Vantage] Monitor if E9 is running

Hi All,

So we had a power outage last night and all the servers came up without
issue but for some reason Epicor 9 did not start properly and no one could
connect.
In the end, a quick reboot fixed the problem but I’m wondering if there is
a way to monitor if Epicor is up and running and can accept client
connections.
A monitoring app would be great and one that would send an email alert if
it is down.

Worst case scenario, I can create one but I want to check if anything
already exists first.

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of the company.

Sure thing. See below. Scott
/////

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Linq;
using System.ServiceProcess;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading.Tasks;
using System.IO;
using System.Threading;

namespace EpicorPinger
{
   public partial class EpicorPingerSvc : ServiceBase
   {
       private System.Timers.Timer timer;

public EpicorPingerSvc()
       {
           InitializeComponent();
       }

protected override void OnStart(string[] args)
       {
           this.timer = new System.Timers.Timer(60000D);
           this.timer.AutoReset = true;
           this.timer.Elapsed += new System.Timers.ElapsedEventHandler(this.timer_Elapsed);
           this.timer.Start();
       }

protected override void OnStop()
       {
           this.timer.Stop();
           this.timer = null;
       }

private void timer_Elapsed(object sender, System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs e)
       {
           CallWebService();
       }

private void CallWebService()
       {
           string xCompany = "WiTronix";
           string xPart = "1000XXXXX";

string sSource = "EpicorPinger";
           string sLog = "Application";
           string badEvent = "Webservice call responded false - FAIL";
           string noEvent = "Webservice call timeout - FAIL - ";
           string goodEvent = "Webservice call responded true - Success";

try
           {
               this.timer.Stop();

if (!EventLog.SourceExists(sSource))
                   EventLog.CreateEventSource(sSource, sLog);

//Trust all certificates
               System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback = ((sender, certificate, chain, sslPolicyErrors) => true);

PartService3.PartServiceClient _parts = new PartService3.PartServiceClient();
               PartService3.CallContextDataSetType _partsCallContext = new PartService3.CallContextDataSetType();
               PartService3.CallContextDataSetType _partsCallContextout = new PartService3.CallContextDataSetType();

_parts.ClientCredentials.UserName.UserName = "EpicorSync";
               _parts.ClientCredentials.UserName.Password = "************";

if (_parts.PartExists(xCompany, xPart, _partsCallContext, out _partsCallContextout) == false)
               {
                   EventLog.WriteEntry(sSource, badEvent, EventLogEntryType.Warning, 44444);
               }
               else
               {
                   EventLog.WriteEntry(sSource, goodEvent);
               }

}
           catch (Exception e)
           {
               noEvent = noEvent + e;
               EventLog.WriteEntry(sSource, noEvent, EventLogEntryType.Warning, 44444);
           }
           finally
           {
               this.timer.Start();
           }

}
   }
}

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Hi Scott,

Scott

We have that.

Hi All,

</div>

Thanks Scott.
I’m grateful for sharing.

The one thing I don’t follow is the references to “PartService3”.
I haven’t coded a project to reference Epicor Web Services before and I didn’t see the reference defined anywhere in your code.
Are you adding a reference to your project for this? If yes, what are you adding to the project?

[cid:427aa2.png@99a1b691.47a65ede]

Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 9:18 AM

Sure thing. See below. Scott
/////

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.IO;
using System.Threading;

namespace EpicorPinger
{
{

public EpicorPingerSvc()
{
InitializeComponent();
}

{
this.timer.Elapsed += new System.Timers.ElapsedEventHandler(this.timer_Elapsed);
this.timer.Start();
}

{
this.timer.Stop();
this.timer = null;
}

{
CallWebService();
}

{

try
{
this.timer.Stop();

//Trust all certificates
System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback = ((sender, certificate, chain, sslPolicyErrors) => true);

PartService3.CallContextDataSetType _partsCallContext = new PartService3.CallContextDataSetType();
PartService3.CallContextDataSetType _partsCallContextout = new PartService3.CallContextDataSetType();

if (_parts.PartExists(xCompany, xPart, _partsCallContext, out _partsCallContextout) == false)
{
}
else
{
}

}
catch (Exception e)
{
noEvent = noEvent + e;
}
finally
{
this.timer.Start();
}

}
}
}

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>> wrote:

We have that.

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291><tel:781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291>> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278><tel:781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278>> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191><tel:781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>]
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>]
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>

Hi All,

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291><tel:781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291>> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278><tel:781-408-9278> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>>> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com>

No problem.
Yes, you add the "service reference" into visual studios. There is a small wizard where you enter the URL, pick a web service and name it.

Scott

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Thanks Scott.

I’m grateful for sharing.

The one thing I don’t follow is the references to “PartService3”.
I haven’t coded a project to reference Epicor Web Services before and I didn’t see the reference defined anywhere in your code.
Are you adding a reference to your project for this? If yes, what are you adding to the project?

[cid:427aa2.png@99a1b691.47a65ede]

Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 9:18 AM

Sure thing. See below. Scott
/////

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.IO;
using System.Threading;

namespace EpicorPinger
{
{

public EpicorPingerSvc()
{
InitializeComponent();
}

{
this.timer.Start();
}

{
this.timer.Stop();
this.timer = null;
}

{
CallWebService();
}

{

try
{
this.timer.Stop();

//Trust all certificates

{
}
else
{
}

}
catch (Exception e)
{
noEvent = noEvent + e;
}
finally
{
this.timer.Start();
}

}
}
}

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Scott

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>>> wrote:

We have that.

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291><tel:781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291>> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278><tel:781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278>> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191><tel:781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>>

Hi All,

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291><tel:781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291>> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278><tel:781-408-9278> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...><mailto:jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>>> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com><http://www.matsinc.com>

</div>

We were having the same problem as Joe and Amelie.  With our weekly server restart in the middle of Sunday night, the Appservers are shutdown about 1/2 hour prior to the scheduled reboot - and then the start of the Admin Service and the Appservers were set after the server restart.

Unfortunately, we could never count on the Appservers restarting with the server reboot - it would work some weeks and others it would not.  We had to add a second task to restart the Appservers at 1/2 hour after the scheduled reboot (specific time) - just so we knew that the Appservers restarted with one of the scheduled tasks.

Laraine