Modify default value of an Epicor field?

When creating a new Supplier, we want the value of the VendorDetail.Approved field to default to FALSE instead of TRUE. I know how to set default value for a UD field, but this is an Epicor field. What is considered best practice for doing that for Epicor fields? Set up a BPM to watch for new records and flip it there?

If I were to do it, I’d hit the Post Directive of the GetNew and set the field to false.

2 Likes

The things to consider for which I also am interested in the “best practice”:

• If you do it on GetNew Post Processing, it will update in real time to the user. But then it won’t set it if you were to run a DMT or UBAQ to create the record. Not sure how important that is to most users but I use DMTs for one thing or another all the dang time. For that reason…
  • If you do it on the Data Directive of an added row, it will set it for both cases but to the user, it can be confusing if it’s a field that’s front and center that changes when they save their record.

Are there any other considerations? Any other ways to do it? Is there a “best practice”?

2 Likes

You may consider DMT transactions to be approved, so you’d have to plan for that too. But @dr_dan, that’s a good point.

Yeah, in his specific case it may not be a factor. But, in general, when making this decision it comes up from time to time. We recently had to make some changes for tax calculations and Avalara and this exact question came to mind. I ended up going with GetNew Post Processing because we don’t often create customers or ShipTo records using DMT. However, for something like a sales order or cases I have used DMT to input chunks of them.