❤ Microsoft - Decompilation of C# code made easy with Visual Studio

We have recently released a new decompilation and symbol creation experience in the latest preview of Visual Studio 2019 version 16.5 that will aid debugging in situations where you might be missing symbol files or source code.

7 Likes

For those wondering how this can help? Well for the last 5 years I used .NET Reflector’s VS Plugin that let me debug and step into Epicor’s Client DLLs (Adapters), while I was debugging my Customization. So all this means you will be able to do that without the hefty 199$ price tag :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was surprised at all the negative comments I saw about this

I use Resharper and other JetBrains tools. VS gradually implements their feature, (as well as from Oz Code Debugger, for example), but I will still buy them, I am sure they will invent something else interesting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

<3 Oz-Code https://oz-code.com/

1 Like

While I agree specialized tools are better for specialized tasks, most of these addons are very heavy and often buggy, and for me anyway just slow down my dev process. I still use them, but I use them to proof my code before committing rather than having them all the time on. To me this is GREAT news, anything to reduce the number of times I have to make guesses or muck around reading ILSpy decompilations for exceptions occurring in third party code because I didn’t have the source or debugging symbols available… :+1:

Yes, resharper is quite heavy. So I try to use Rider when I can.
I have not try this new VS feature yet, but with Jetbrains I debug 3rd party code seamlessly. (In my case it is Asp. Net core stuff mostly)

2 Likes

Where? Why… Weird

Hmm, comments on reddit and codeproject, and the Microsoft blog post: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/decompilation-of-c-code-made-easy-with-visual-studio/

I don’t agree with them myself, and I think they are probably just a vocal minority.

1 Like

@Olga you ever use dnSpy ? I sometimes Hook to a process (its light-weight) and just find the Assembly in my Memory and breakpoint on it.

1 Like

I saw it, but did not use much

I think they are just blissfully unaware that decompilation of .NET code existed basically for as long as .NET itself. I guess they also fail to remember that VB6 and VC also had decompilers before. Or that plugins for IDA have been doing it for 30 years to generate C/C++ source from disassemblies…