Menu Item Security

We’re in the process of upgrading from 9.05 to Kinetic 2022.2.11 Historically, we’ve set permissions by each menu item in Menu Maintenance.

Discovered that a whole bunch of menu items were added between 9 and Kinetic, so ran a comparison to ID so security could be set. I’ve been through several of these added menu items and am not able to modify access either through Menu Maintenance or Security Code Maintenance. All options to allow/disallow access are greyed or non-responsive.

These items do all appear to be marked ‘System’, but are available to a no-privilege user so I definitely need to set the security.

I’m hoping to find out:

1. Is this normal behavior? I really can’t restrict “Business Category”, “Quote Engineering Entry”, “Salesforce Synchronization”, etc.?
  2. Any other options to restrict access that I’m missing? I figure I can do it @ the group (i.e. setup), but that’s inconsistent with everything else, so I’d rather not if I can avoid.

TIA, appreciate any help. I was not expecting to come across this problem @ my already rushed 2nd pass

I believe that you have to go to Actions > Copy Security to Current Company. I am not sure what the thinking is behind this, but once you set that, then you can change the menu level security.

In addition to @NateS’s suggestion, if you are not licensed for an something (in this case, specifically “Salesforce Synchronization”), you can’t update the menu item.

I think that is exactly it! Thank you!

1 Like

Mostly! Unless it’s changed recently, that limitation is managed client-side. Which means it’s (last I checked) totally possible to do via API, for example with DMT or REST. There’s actually a lot of menu control and feature that’s managed client-side, so it’s really really easy to do some truly cursed things to menus and security if you skip the UI…

emphasis on the “truly cursed”…