How do you make pilot look clearly different from live?

I just lock everybody out of Pilot besides myself by default, and if someone needs access to test, I’ll configure their home page with alternating colour tiles of grey and white, and change the top text label to read ‘PILOT ENVIRONMENT’.

Once they’re done testing, account disabled.

Seems to work well enough. Mine’s configured the same as I jump between Pilot and Live countless times during the day.

That’s interesting - we do something similar but I’ve always done it this way on the app server level:

We are still on 2023.1.10 and won’t go to 2023.2 until January in Pilot.

Thanks Kevin!! Only issue I had was at first I used Erp.BO.Plant.GetList and it wasn’t working. I was about to message you for help when I realized there was also an Ice.BO.Plant.GetList…which is what you had in your post. :woman_facepalming: Once I used the correct method it worked great.

Great minds think alike. I did the same exact thing before I learned to read.

Read Book Club GIF

Did we decide that it is not possible to change the background color of the kinetic menu layout screens? Either in the smart client for now, or in the browser version? I changed the color of the top content bar as Debbie showed. But I can’t change the color of the layout background.

Using F12 and the Elements tab I was able to edit some components to change the background color using the styles section where the background-color is exposed. I don’t know much CSS, but I am pretty sure there is a programmatic way to assign these colors based on the environment (live or pilot). @klincecum, would this be related to the plugin thing you are working on?

No.

And as far as I know, we can’t get to the css, (at least not in a sanctioned way).

I’ve been wondering if there are some properties we could set to change certain colors.
Looks like I automated something last year above that I forgot about.

1 Like

I can imagine that an addin, or plugin for Microsoft Edge Browser should allow the change to the background colors. I am sure I don’t know how to program that in. Maybe I will ask GPT to do it for me…

I think @josecgomez and @hmwillet have posted on using greasemonkey? maybe to do it.

Not sure, I’d have to find the thread.

1 Like

Here’s a thought - Epicor should do something to meet the needs of the customer.
With 3.4K views of this thread which is still active over a year gives a hint that people want this functionality.

Software As A Service comes to mind - service your customers.

6 Likes

There were a ton of ideas submitted on this but they are all marked delivered and merged with an idea that is not viewable by the public

4 Likes

Tell 'em Bruce!

I think that only works for Modern view. What about Kinetic view?

So now there’s a new idea.

https://epicor.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-5437

I also pointed out that this functionality was NOT delivered in one related item that says “delivered”, and has been removed from the other one. Who knows? All they can do is not fix it, and we’re already there.

4 Likes

I am looking into using tampermonkey (edge’s greasemonkey equivalate). I created a basic userscript to change the background for my pilot application.
The script is simply:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Change Background Color
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Change the background color of a specific web page
// @author       Nate Schoonover
// @match        https://XXXXXXpilot01.epicorsaas.com/SaaSXXXPilot/apps/erp/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

// Your code here...
    document.body.style.backgroundColor = 'red';
})();

The code does not seem to impact the background color of my kinetic forms. Are there any CSS experts out there that can direct me to the right solution here?

My goal is to have tampermonkey identify when I load any pilot app (based on the address) then update the background color of the page to red. I dove into the devtools and elements looking through each div to find one that might work. I haven’t had much luck.

My colleague @GBDurrary is a wizard when it comes to css. Pretty sure he experimented with a chrome extension. Let’s just say it wouldn’t pass any contrast testing…

1 Like

Glitch Fire GIF by Empress Trash

4 Likes

Not sure that I would say wizard, but I have been messing about with setting something up to overcome some issues we’ve seen with styling. Many of which are made redundant by 2024 but others might still find them helpful and it is (almost) infinitely extensible. You can find a basic implementation on Github, which you can copy and edit to fit your own needs should you want to. This will only help you if you are browsing kinetic via Chrome.

In practice I have inserted a few styles that were helpful for us, reducing the grid size to fit more information on the screen, changing the colours back to be more contrasting, and changing the colour of the main menu bar to indicate which environment we are on. But there are no limits to what could be done.

For example, on our Test environment a nice pink colour.

And a nice purple for dev.

And if you wanted to toggle on the Brash colours and compressed grid, then here’s an example of what else can be done quite easily. Any number of styles could be added.

And the Accessibility mode can be set up with anything that the user needs.

Hope this helps

8 Likes

Ha, me too! But it’s just the URL bar at the top (the EAC setting). I didn’t actually do anything novel.

Nice work.

2 Likes