Handheld MES

Is there anyone on this forum who used the handheld devices for stock management i.e. scanners to book stock in and out. And if so, what hardware is recommended and how has the shift been?

We are looking into implementing it later in the year so this is just a preliminary question.

We’re thinking of doing something custom driven by barcodes on the job traveler, using old Android devices with a simple app based on the ZXing library.

We use Epicor Mobile Warehouse for this with the Honeywell tablet that they recommend.

We are implementing a custom application for mobile ops as well, using Honeywell, Zebra and other Android integrated scanners on a MAUI Blazor app. Our initial problem was powder coating line data collection, solved by QR tags with job info to clock the painter in/out. Now we are moving into the rest of our data collection actions.

However, going the completely custom route involves a ton of planning and development, and I would argue requires on-staff engineers to maintain, but there are also alternatives like bezl who do this for you.

Low-code is also probably an option.

We’re using Quantity Only for everything, no MES time inputs. And we’re not starting and finishing individual ops, since even stopping to scan a barcode and key a quantity would probably double production time on some ops. So my idea is to write an EFx that completes the job (and the ops if necessary), and a simple Android app that just scans the job number and calls the EFx via REST.

1 Like

We use the old Epicor data collection app running on Intermec barcode scanners. Almost all warehouse tasks require a barcode scan. Most run Windows Mobile. We are in the process of upgrading to all our scanners to Honeywell CK65 running android. After that, we hope to upgrade to EMW. We probably will start with a small process (Proof of Delivery). It is my understanding that EMW will eliminate the multiple scans we current do (part, bin, qty) to one scan of a QR code. Of course we will need to switch to QR codes.

1 Like