Explode Finished Assembly Back to Component Inventory

Totally agree with the Test instance. We also have another instance if we need to create any customizations so it doesn't mess with any testing that other people may be doing.

We only track outbound serial numbers so there is no real association to the Job as far as that aspect goes. And we typically do not use subassemblies.

I don't know if I have a complete process yet but after a tip on the EUG forum, I was able to get components back to inventory with all the correct GL accounts used. I ended up creating a Job to consume itself with one operation. Add a Job-Stock demand for 1. Did a Job Receipt to Salvage for all the components. Labor and Burden at the top level was the only cost left associated with the material. Claimed the one operation. I then did Job Operation NC all the way through DMR Reject. Then removed the Job-Stock demand since we are not producing anything. This removed all estimates leaving just the Labor and Burden portion of the material as Actuals(as I mentioned before) but that cost was moved through DMR and subsequently moved to our Prod Scrap GL account.

Then looking at the Inventory/WIP Rec Report and Inventory Counts, they all have the appropriate cost/counts. With the Labor and Burden portion of the disassembled part costed to the Scrap GL. Which makes sense because you can't get labor/burden back once it's been consumed.

Obviously very cumbersome and time consuming. Nothing that some BO calls can't take care of though.

But with all that, It might just be easier to open a Job back up like you mentioned.

-Caleb

Just wondering if anybody has some tips on returning all the components back to inventory after the unit has already been received to stock. For example, we get a return and want all the components to go back to inventory and not stock the finished part. Typically we receive the RMA part into a Job as material then whole unit is received into inventory(consuming itself plus any additional parts/labor).

The issue I've come across is we do get returns that the major $$ components are scrap because of damage and such. But when we do the RMA Job and add the components to replace them, the total unit cost is significantly higher than our standard cost creating large variances. And I don't know of a way to scrap the component that was damaged and salvage the good parts.

I've looked at Job to Salvage but that looks like it only works when the materials of the Job is the BOM and not the unit itself like we typically do for RMA Jobs.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Caleb

Hi Caleb,

We are working on something similar, in a TEST instance of Epicor so far, but not with the goal of returning the components to inventory.  Rather we needed to receive prototype assemblies as RMAs, disposition to a rework job(s), disassemble and replace some subcomponents and scrap others, then reassemble and ship to customer.

I talked with Epicor Production Support.  The suggestion was to reopen the original jobs that these finished goods were completed on.  While this is rather unorthodox including cost tracking and historical traceability, it did allow us to do the disassembly, access the subcomponents and scrap and rematch serial numbers and reassemble and ship again.  The subcomponents are then available in the job as the input materials and assemblies. 

We created operations after the completion of the 'original final assembly' and clearly described what and why we were doing it (for traceability and to rematching and scrapping serial numbers).  So, doing the disposition to the original job makes some sense in that all the pieces are sort of back in play.  That could also allow you to return the subcomponents to inventory perhaps??

I cannot underscore how helpful and critical it is to always run these kinds of projects in a TEST copy of the Production database and trying things start to finish there before committing to the final solution in the Production DB.  Do it as many times as needed and just take notes so you can repeat once you like the results in the Production instance.

Best of luck with it... in TEST.

Are the components you are returning serial numbered in the system?

Claudia Stone

Aspacia Systems, Inc.

This email, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any disseminiation, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify me by telephone and permanently delete the original, any copy of any email and any printout thereof.

Some are but we only do outbound serial tracking. We typically manually change the status of the SN when it comes back.