E10 Handhelds

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with setting up and configuring Epicor handhelds running android OS? We are currently using the Intermec CK71 (Windows mobile OS) on 10.0.700.4 and have them setup to RDP to the terminal server and it is working great. However, we are looking to migrate to new handhelds (likely Honeywell Dolphin CN80 devices) running Android OS. It doesn’t appear that they connect in the same regard. We would like to go live with these devices when we upgrade to 10.2.300.x in the 1st quarter of 2019. If anyone has any experience, suggestions or documentation it would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
Matt Hermsen

We are on 10.2.100 with 6 CK75 handhelds and are in the process of upgrading them from WM65 to Android (two in production so far). It took a bit of time to figure out the best configuration for us but now it works great - better wireless, better power management, and better control of the OS.

We used the Xtralogic RDP client because it supports 240x320 resolution. We also used the Honeywell Launcher for locking down the device.

1 Like

Chris - Thank you for the reply. Thats great information. So you are currently still using RDP with the Android devices, connecting to the Terminal server as you did with Windows mobile OS?
Thanks,
Matt

@esapco_mh , I didn’t realize Epicor was still encouraging the handhelds! We ended up using iPads with Jump Desktop installed as our in-house quality system runs on iOS and it made sense for us to consolidate.

When you RDP using the Intermec handhelds, is it a mobile version of Epicor/Epicor MES? I believe this used to be the case, so I’m curious what the state of affairs is now.

Sorry to detract…

The handhelds are a different menu structure from the MES. We use them for material moves mostly. They handhelds are nice because of the long range scanning capability. There are instances where we are scanning barcodes/parts from 15-20 feet away so they work nice for that. If there are other alternatives to the handhelds I would definitely be all ears.
Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

Yes, exactly the same as with windows mobile, no configuration changes on the server side. The end users really don’t notice a difference except for when they need to launch the remote desktop client. Since we were a bit more comfortable with the handhelds now we spent some time using the EzConfig application and simplified the handheld deployment process.

A couple other things: I tried multiple RDP apps and that was the only one I tested that would work at the lower resolution to match the HH screens. I tried a few different launchers so that we could lock down the devices and while they often had more features the Honeywell one was simple and just worked. This might be something I revisit at a later date.

@cdcooper, was the EzConfig something you had to purchase from Honeywell? Or is that software supplied free from the company? I’m not at all familiar with it.
Thanks,
Matt

The app is preinstalled on the Android builds and there is a PC version as well. Basically lets you generate some XML files so you can make persistent configurations surviving factory resets. The big things were wireless and launcher configuration. Supposedly you can script file copy and button remapping but I couldn’t get those to work. This was lower priority so I’ve put it on the back burner.

1 Like

@cdcooper Just wondering if you got the sofkeyboard to work. Our handheld’s don’t have an external keyboard, I’ve been trying to get it to popup permanently on screen, then I can do my screen mods. Haven’t really got much of a response from xtralogic on the question. Apparently you are supposed to be able to use their simple connect app on the terminal server.

@cdcooper
Thanks!
One of my clients recently purchased Honeywell CK65’s and we found the Xtralogic RDP client to be great as well now that many devices are very high resolution and moving to android.
at $15 per license, not bad at all!

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve never had to mess with the softkeyboard. All our devices are CK75 with the full hardware keyboard.

1 Like