E10 Auto Login and RDS

Trying to get our E10 live over the holiday break and I am trying to follow the steps outlined in this previous thread but I am running to issues doing so across several RDS users. I have a 5 user license so I have 5 windows users hh1, hh2 through hh5 all with the same password. The intent is to auto log into MES using a single Epicor user account called MES. I remote in as user hh1 and follow the steps and it works great. I can now log in remotely as user hh1 and MES fires right up. Next, I try connecting from another machine as hh2. It appears Epicor tries to start, but the application never comes up. Given there is only one sysconfig file being used across all 5 users, will this even work? Anyone successfully doing it?

Tim

Merry Christmas Tim!

We had different Epicor logins for our MES users and each had their own config file with the username setup in the userSerttings.

A shortcut was on each virtual desktop

E:\Epicor\ERP10.0Client\Client\Epicor.exe /config=ERP10_MESUser01PROD.sysconfig -MES –skip

We controlled the updates, so the –skip was added. Not sure if that makes a difference for you. We’ve since moved to the SmartClient but this was the setup previously on our RD machine.

Mark W.

I’m on 10.1.400.19 with no problems using the setup you’re describing. We previously (9.05.702) had multiple config files for all the different hh1 hh2 logins using the auto-login within the .config file. I’m no longer using an auto-login on the handhelds or MES kiosks we have setup, but they are all using a single .sysconfig file now.

Our MES stations have a common login that our production knows to enter in. Once MES is up, they just leave it up and use their ID’s. Do you have any autologins configured? maybe try without that to start, see if it goes?

Thanks for the quick replies guys and Merry Christmas to you as well Mark!

It’s the auto login that is the issue, I can get the application to run across all the RDS sessions, just couldn’t get auto login to work.

In the meantime, I have come up with a work around. I have copied the client folder for as many RDS users that I have. I then created unique shortcuts that I exposed through the RemoteApp Manager and then installed the unique rds file to each of the MES stations. Yes it works. I realize it will be a maintenance nightmare, but we are going live and I need to pick my battles at the moment!

Thank you again guys for the help.

Maintenance is an ongoing thing, but go-live… that’s a right now thing! I get it! Good luck with Go-Live.

I’m told that you can login to each session with the full client, then go into the “Settings > Preferences> and check the box to automatically sign in” instead of using the config file for autologin. I haven’t tested that yet for our auto-login kiosks, but it’s worth looking into. unless that’s how you were doing it already, in which case, I won’t bother to look into that once I try auto-login setups, haha

Yes, one has to log in using the full client to get the option to check automatic sign. I had to do that for each of the RDS users. It’s all working now. I will find a cleaner way…or try the SmartClient like Mark is using.

I too am using the unique sysconfig files - What is the SmartClient?

Smart client is what Epicor calls the install-able client (some call it the “fat client”). If you have a blue hamburger looking icon on your desktop

and in the properties of that shortcut it points to a .sysconfig file, it is using our smart client.

This contrasts to our other clients; for example, Epicor Web Access / Epicor Mobile Access which both use a browser and don’t require a local install on the workstations.

In addition, I think the term “Smart” showed up with the advent of the https connection, which is really nice because we have found it recovers from network issues better than the 9.0 “Thick/fat” client.

Mark W.

Hamburger Icon I like that.