Does MRP view suggestions as Demand?

We are trying to get a better handle on how our 3rd party forecasting system (SMART) and Epicor’s MRP work together. We have set ROP SL% for parts in Smart, which have in turn created minimum on hand and safety stock amounts for each site. We also have a sales forecast from Smart that reads back to Epicor. In time phased inquiry, I see suggestions for transfer orders and PO changes, but new job and PO suggestions are not being suggested until later in January. There is not currently firm demand in January, but if the change PO suggestions and transfer order suggestions were firmed, then we would go below minimum and even below 0 before the new job and PO suggestions, as reflected in time phase. There is also a forecasted amount, but this doesn’t appear to be affecting the suggestions, either. Are unfirm suggestions and forecast not considered true demand by MRP?

MRP surely does consider Epicor Forecast and any suggestion as demand, so this is probably caused by other parameters set on the parts or in the MRP processing. So check thing like: Finite of infinite schedule, material constraints, parameters like Time Fence, and other buffer s days. Or on the MRP proces the schedule start date.

We use infinite planning, do not use material restraints, and do not have time fence parameters set up. I tried to tweak some settings on the part, but I’m not seeing any change. For this part, we have a set min on hand and safety stock, and there are TO suggestions and a forecast amount that would take us below 0 by 1/1, but the next unfirm job suggestion has a due date of 1/25 (1/18 start).

Hi Arora,

Yes. Unfirm jobs and PO suggestions are treated as real demand and supply. Could Forecast window or days of supply be coming into account? I would experiment with changing these. Also, if you do not wish the system to make a change suggestion to an existing PO to satisfy demand, you can lock the quantity and date on the PO. This will force a new PO suggestion instead of change suggestion. Unfortunately locking qty and date on transfer suggestion cannot be done that I know of. Jobs may also be locked to prevent job change suggestions.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thank you, I will definitely pass that along to the supply chain team, that will be very helpful for the PO suggestions!

As for forecast window, we currently have it set to 0 days before and 30 days after, because our forecast periods are monthly. The forecast period start dates are the first of every month.

1 Like

Hi Arora,

Could you attach a screenshot of timephase showing this? It would be very useful for trying to help the group here understand more. A screenshot with suggestions all turned on and one with them off would be even more helpful…

Also, in case it’s helpful, here’s a screenshot of forecast demand on a part here getting supplied via purchasing suggestion. (note, I have days of supply pushed out so that long lead POs get counted in supply.)

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Attached is an example of a part we’ve been having trouble with. Here you can see a firm TO, 2 TO suggestions, and a forecast amount, but the fist unfirm job suggestion is for 1/25.

Hi Arora,

Sorry, I hadn’t seen your post earlier. Did you resolve it yet? I agree, I would expect to see the unfirm job attempt to supply earlier than this. I have seen bugs historically with transfer order suggestions and in-transit ones with miscounts, hopefully we’re not seeing something with that here.

I’d like to see the “days of supply” on this part pushed out to 60 or 90 days to see impact. Are you “allowing historical dates” on your MRP run? We do allow this. I wonder if that would help with the results.

Nancy