Customer RMA & Debit to Supplier

Jeff,

It is kind of simple because, frankly, Vantage doesn't really provide any good way to do this.

You COULD edit your Rework Job (once actually released and in-process & your people have clearly IDed the problem) by momentarily unengineering and then making the bad vendor parts to be returned to inventory salvage parts in the job method.

This puts them back in stock where you can stock inspect fail & DMR disposition fail to get the debit memo rolling back to the vendor.

That's a lot of work for something that could be done more easily off system via forms and communication. Just to DO all that requires an equal (if not more) amount of 'off system' communication.

IF DMR fail dispositions didn't remove the inventory from your system (which is why returns to vendors are misc shipments) - and simply resulted in quarantined in non-nettable bin transfers (which would than allow a REAL RTV shipment if Epicor provided an real part number & qty based ship mechanism besides shipping against a sale - in this case a shipment truly specific to QC actions) - then you would have true closed loop process - and it might be worth it.

(But they don't.)

I'd go with the off-system form based process and generate manual debit memos.

I hope Epicor redesigns the DMR fail process eventually. It creates a huge blind spot to material planners because the failed inventory (or PO receipt) simply disappears with no clue to lead a planner to even consider checking a tracker for possible causes. That just leads to always second guessing the system and a lack of confidence (and outright dislike) in and of the system.

I also hope they reconsider and support Job receipt inspection (instead of just Op inspection). It is ludicrous to have two different ways to do inspection of received goods (as it is ALWAYS more process reliable to have "ONE WAY" to do something). It doesn't fundamentally matter whether a receipt is from a Job, an RMA or a PO. All should allow for the same single receipt inspection process.

Sorry for the extra commentary (although it does further explain the larger basis of my recommendation).

Rob

--- On Tue, 11/25/08, jplehr <jlehr@...> wrote:
Subject: [Vantage] Customer RMA & Debit to Supplier
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 12:49 PM

Vantage 8.03.406

Scenario... Customer returns parts on RMA. RMA is received. RMA

Receipt is then Dispositioned to a Job (rework Job, not the original).

Customer is debiting us so we will process the Credit. (My

Question)... the Supplier, who processed the parts, is the reason the

parts were returned. How do I debit my Supplier?

Maybe I am making this more difficult then it needs to be but I just

can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks... Jeff
Vantage 8.03.406

Scenario... Customer returns parts on RMA. RMA is received. RMA
Receipt is then Dispositioned to a Job (rework Job, not the original).
Customer is debiting us so we will process the Credit. (My
Question)... the Supplier, who processed the parts, is the reason the
parts were returned. How do I debit my Supplier?

Maybe I am making this more difficult then it needs to be but I just
can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks... Jeff